Which Linux distribution is good for me?

ExSiS

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I am very bored using Debian because I installed it many times. But I really need some different distribution that looks wonderful and modern. Everyone knows Linux is customizable but I like to keep with default icons instead of downloading themes and icon packages because I hate it. Which distribution is better for me? Thanks!

Note: Do not say search it on DistroWatch or another website because I tried it already but I got no results.

I want something like this:
  • Modern and wonderful distribution,
  • Setup Should Be: Graphical and Easy,
  • Package Management: DEB (apt-get).

System Specifications:
  • Processor Model: Intel Core i3-3217U
  • RAM (Memory) Capacity: 4 GiB
  • HDD: Western Digital SATA 500 GB

I know your requirement is deb based but I would be open to learning a new package manager, this will also give you something new to learn since you mentioned you are bored of Debian. Try Manjaro, it's based off of Arch which is a lightweight distribution and it has a graphical installer. If not I would either try Mint, PopOS or Ubuntu.

I know your requirement is deb based but I would be open to learning a new package manager, this will also give you something new to learn since you mentioned you are bored of Debian. Try Manjaro, it's based off of Arch which is a lightweight distribution and it has a graphical installer. If not I would either try Mint, PopOS or Ubuntu.
Manjaro looks good for me but I have a question about Manjaro desktop, which desktop environment is good for 4 GiB RAM? I want a desktop environment that looks wonderful and modern.

Your Desktop Environment(DE) is really a personal thing. You could try Xfce which is a lightweight DE, it doesn't look really modern but with a small amount of customization you can make it look more modern. Otherwise you should try Cinnamon, it is a fork of gnome3. I have that running on an Intel Celeron(N4100 CPU @ 1.10GHz) with 4G ram. Or you could have a look at MATE which is I think a fork of the old Gnome2. I tried several other DE's but don't really have enough experience with those to say anything about them. But like I said in the beginning a DE is really something of personal preference, I would just try out several DE's and see which one you feel most comfortable with. Here is a list of available DE's.

Last edited:
There is Mint, Linux Lite, Xubuntu, Zorin, etc.....

Kubuntu.

Thread Update: I found a wonderful distribution myself called Ubuntu MATE. Thanks to everyone for helping me!

How has your journey been to Ubuntu MATE?
I searched a list of Linux distributions that support the MATE desktop environment. I didn't choose Linux Mint because I hate a distribution that looks like Windows. Every website says Debian is recommended for the MATE desktop environment. But finally, I found Ubuntu MATE. I liked Ubuntu MATE because it is based on Ubuntu and it is modern and simple.

I searched a list of Linux distributions that support the MATE desktop environment. I didn't choose Linux Mint because I hate a distribution that looks like Windows. Every website says Debian is recommended for the MATE desktop environment. But finally, I found Ubuntu MATE. I liked Ubuntu MATE because it is based on Ubuntu and it is modern and simple.
Just so you know it is possible to install other DE's(Desktop Environments) even though you are running Ubuntu Mate distribution. Also it is possible to customize your DE to your likes and needs with a bit of work, Cinnamon doesn't have to look like Windows. But Just thought you should know, but you will learn this as you learn more about GNU/Linux on your Linux learning journey.

Last edited:
One step at a time. Install your Ubuntu Mate, set it up the way you want, install the apps you want, use it, get used to it, and most important learn about Linux.

Later you can play, install something else, choose a different DE, until you find the one that is right for you. It's been a long strange journey for me, but I found the one that works for me after MANY Linux and BSD distros.

Members online