Which linux distro is best for me?

Akshansh Kumawat

Reaction score
Credits
I am new Linux user. I am trying to install Linux on my 10-year-old desktop. It is a very low end PC.
Its specifications are -
CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E7300 (64bit)
RAM - 3GB
Storage - 500 GB HDD
GPU - Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics (no dedicated GPU)

It is running Windows 7 now but it is already very old and I tried to install Windows 10 but it is unusable.
Please help me to get a very lightweight distro.

I estimate your kit to be around 14 yrs old, most builds of linux will run on it but I would be inclined to look at mid or light weight builds... MX Linux, Lubuntu, linux lite, to name a few, only you can choose what is best for you, so download several builds to run live and test,
Points to note
If you consider upgrading the ram... your motherboard will only support 4gb total
If you machine is a 2008 build as i suspect, IT may not be USB boot enabled [if you have a DVD drive then check your short start menu in the bios if USB is not listed then you will need to install using DVD as an install medium

Bwiz

Yeah maximum supported RAM is 4 GB on the motherboard. And the motherboard is also local (FOXIN) which most of the operating system don't recognize. USB boot is enabled. I have installed Windows 10 by USB only. It is not 14 years old as I am 16 years old and I got this when I was 4-5. But its components are old. I have replaced the motherboard with that local one. Also there are 2 RAM slots in one there is 1 GB (old) stick and on another there is 2 GB (1year old) stick. CPU is old. HDD is also old. I am confused between Linux Mint XFCE, Debian XFCE, MX Linux, Manjaro XFCE. Can you also suggest some other distros which are XFCE because XFCE is the only environment which can run smoothly on my system. Gnome and KDE might hang. Which distro would be best for me?

ah so its a bitsa build [bits from everywhere] [your CPU is about 14 yrs] anyway have a read through this article.....https://www.slant.co/topics/9328/~linux-distributions-for-xfce

I have Linux Lite running on my 8 year old Laptop that came with windoze 7 and it runs fine.

Which is the best Distro...the one you like.

Members online