which linux should i choose , replies are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PXE boot install are usually used in cooperate environments.

Well here's another way to look at it: if you are a student, like learning, and have a lot of free time, I'd recommend trying arch. Arch is not beginner friendly, and also forces you to use the command line.

learning and stable in that case go for Slackware15 first

I just started using Linux two weeks ago on a brand new Micro$oft Surface Go Laptop. I tried three different distros. First it was Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop, it works just fine but looks too much like Windows for my liking. Next it was Ubuntu with the Gnome Desktop, it seemed a bit flakey at times, I really didn't like the Gnome Desktop at all. Now I'm using Solus with the KDE Plasma Desktop, it is very responsive, but there is a still a lot to learn about the Desktop. Linus Torvalds likes KDE Plasma, so I'm going to stick with the KDE Desktop regardless of which distro I use. Anyway, it's Solus for now unless I have a reason to change. Oh, Solus has four different choices when it comes to Desktops.

I just started using Linux two weeks ago on a brand new Micro$oft Surface Go Laptop. I tried three different distros. First it was Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop, it works just fine but looks too much like Windows for my liking. Next it was Ubuntu with the Gnome Desktop, it seemed a bit flakey at times, I really didn't like the Gnome Desktop at all. Now I'm using Solus with the KDE Plasma Desktop, it is very responsive, but there is a still a lot to learn about the Desktop. Linus Torvalds likes KDE Plasma, so I'm going to stick with the KDE Desktop regardless of which distro I use. Anyway, it's Solus for now unless I have a reason to change. Oh, Solus has four different choices when it comes to Desktops.
* Cinnamon (which you don't like because it's too much like Windows), and KDE, which you apparently like, are both very similar to the Windows interface. In fact, I'd say KDE is more Windows-UI-like than Cinnamon.
* Both Cinnamon and KDE are highly customizable and can be made to look nothing like Windows.
* WHY does Linus like KDE? What if his reasons are technical in nature, rather than UI based? So just following him doesn't serve YOUR purposes.

* Cinnamon (which you don't like because it's too much like Windows), and KDE, which you apparently like, are both very similar to the Windows interface. In fact, I'd say KDE is more Windows-UI-like than Cinnamon.
* Both Cinnamon and KDE are highly customizable and can be made to look nothing like Windows.
* WHY does Linus like KDE? What if his reasons are technical in nature, rather than UI based? So just following him doesn't serve YOUR purposes.
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Not using Windows 10/11 on my new Laptop is what served my purposes, *THANK YOU. Since I am a NEW user, all the feature and customization are things I'm having to learn. *THANK YOU. So far I like the KDE desktop, regardless of your preference. If it's good enough for Linus, it's good enough for me. *THANK YOU. Does this forum have a blocking option, because if it does, I'd like to know how to block you, or if you would be so kind as to block me.
*THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Not using Windows 10/11 on my new Laptop is what served my purposes, *THANK YOU. Since I am a NEW user, all the feature and customization are things I'm having to learn. *THANK YOU. So far I like the KDE desktop, regardless of your preference. If it's good enough for Linus, it's good enough for me. *THANK YOU. Does this forum have a blocking option, because if it does, I'd like to know how to block you, or if you would be so kind as to block me.
*THANK YOU.
Taking things personally, aren't you? I was pointing out some issues (as I see them) in your logic, and giving you things to think about; it wasn't personal.

If you can't handle the discourse, or If you think I'm personally attacking you, please report my post(s). If you want to block me, click my name and click Ignore.

If it's good enough for Linus, it's good enough for me. *THANK YOU. Does this forum have a blocking option, because if it does, I'd like to know how to block you, or if you would be so kind as to block me.
*THANK YOU.
Why don't you try different ones for a longer period of time first before sticking to one instead of sticking to one because it's "Good enough for Linus" There are many to choose from besides those three.
And you still have tiling Windows managers you could have a look at.
Lighten up it's not like @SlowCoder was telling you that KDE Plasma sucks balls. I personally thing think both KDE Plasma and Cinnamon both have more of a Windows feel out of the box until you customize a bit more yourself. I have used both and they work just fine. I am currently using Xfce because it's lightweight, modular and I can combine it with a tiling window manager easily if I find the need for it.

Last edited:
Why don't you try different ones for a longer period of time first before sticking to one instead of sticking to one because it's "Good enough for Linus" There are many to choose from besides those three.
Well, there are currently (just a guess) about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 distros of Linux, I really don't have the time or the interest to even attempt 10. I'm not a power user, I bought the computer to use it, rather than play with numerous distros. If it works well and I can figure it out, that is all I need. Installing Linux on my new Laptop freed up a lot of additional storage space for me to use and of course the overall speed and performance are better.

Well, there are currently (just a guess) about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 distros of Linux, I really don't have the time or the interest to even attempt 10. I'm not a power user, I bought the computer to use it, rather than play with numerous distros. If it works well and I can figure it out, that is all I need. Installing Linux on my new Laptop freed up a lot of additional storage space for me to use and of course the overall speed and performance are better.
According to the latest news I've heard, there are +- 270 distros, and that can feel like 10^19 (yes, I counted the zeros)! There's a guy on here (@Brickwizard ?) who apparently has bunches of them installed to play around with. I personally recommend new users stick with beginner friendly distros until they are comfortable, not just with the desktop, but also with the command line and how Linux works in general, before trying out other distros. New users who distro-hop tend to get confused and often leave Linux due to frustration over "too much choice".

Well, there are currently (just a guess) about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 distros of Linux, I really don't have the time or the interest to even attempt 10.
I don't either but I have tried maybe about 6(if you don't count all the Rhel clones as separate) over the years of distributions which I distro-hopped one over the years on my main person computers. If you count running in vm I have tried more than 10 over the years. So you also don't have to try every desktop environment. However don't stick to something because it's good enough for someone else, at least take the time to find out for yourself try maybe a couple of other well known ones and then come to a conclusion for yourself. I had to try out pineapple pizza before I could actually say that pineapple doesn't belong on a pizza.

Pinepple doesn't belong on a pizza.

Hawaiian pizza is delicious. (Ham and pineapple.)

It's a very long story, so I'll skip it. But, I do love me a Hawaiian pizza.

According to the latest news I've heard, there are +- 270 distros, and that can feel like 10^19 (yes, I counted the zeros)! There's a guy on here (@Brickwizard ?) who apparently has bunches of them installed to play around with. I personally recommend new users stick with beginner friendly distros until they are comfortable, not just with the desktop, but also with the command line and how Linux works in general, before trying out other distros. New users who distro-hop tend to get confused and often leave Linux due to frustration over "too much choice".
I don't have as many as @wizardfromoz and some others, but if I don't try them, I can't pass comment as to any foibles they may have or reliability, I did a lot more testing the last 2 years during the UK covid lockdown

I don't either but I have tried maybe about 6(if you don't count all the Rhel clones as separate) over the years of distributions which I distro-hopped one over the years on my main person computers. If you count running in vm I have tried more than 10 over the years. So you also don't have to try every desktop environment. However don't stick to something because it's good enough for someone else, at least take the time to find out for yourself try maybe a couple of other well known once and then come to a conclusion for yourself. I had to try out pineapple pizza before I could actually say that Pinepple doesn't belong on a pizza.
From my perspective, Linux is kind of like ice cream, there are many flavors, and they are all pretty good, I've tried quite a number, even garlic flavored, but my usual favorites are Mocha Almond Fudge or Rocky Road, no need for any other.

We are going a bit off track to food, I just used that anology as in easy way to understand the comparison I was trying to make. The whole point try something until you find a desktop environment that you like and works for you, so don't choose Mocha Almond Fudge as your favorite as cream just because it's Linus's favorite ice cream flavor as well.

From my perspective, Linux is kind of like ice cream, there are many flavors, and they are all pretty good, I've tried quite a number, even garlic flavored, but my usual favorites are Mocha Almond Fudge or Rocky Road, no need for any other.
You're on the mark. Back in the 2000s, it was very common to refer to a distro as a "flavor".

We are going a bit off track to food

There's no salvaging this thread anyhow. OP has all the answers they're gonna get.

I will say it's an improvement. A year or so ago, this question would have prompted responses where people just listed their favorite distros - and then derailed into semantics arguing. We're getting better!

it was very common to refer to a distro as a "flavor".

Ubuntu still has 'official flavors' for the distros that are within the official family, like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online