Which operating system should I try?

Georgede54

Reaction score
Credits
Before I foul up a computer that more or less does what I want, I'd like to break into Linux on a computer I care little about. Unfortunately, it's rather old and is currently running Windows XP.

According to the Bios, it's got 512 KB of Level 2 cache, a system memory of 64 MB, and 4100 MB of a primary hard drive. For the record, it's a Dell Latitude CP 233XT.

Is there any Linux operating system that this computer can run?

Thanks,

George

system memory of 64 MB
Sorry, George, but you are going to find very few Linux systems that will run on that little RAM. If XP runs okay, it may be the best choice for that machine until you're ready to recycle it. This website says you can have up to a total of 128 MB maximum RAM. The price is cheap enough, if it is still valid, but even 128 MB is extremely limiting. The website also says you probably have two 32 MB memory sticks installed, so you would need to buy two 64 MB modules, not just one. Cheap or not, I would not spend the money on it.

The only Linux I can think of that should work is Tiny Core. It will probably work okay, but it is not really a good representation of how nice Linux is these days on more modern hardware. I think you will be disappointed unless you just like to tinker with something different.

Without fouling up your better computer, you can run a more modern Linux on it with a USB in "live mode" so that it makes no permanent changes. Or if that computer is powerful enough, you could install VirtualBox (free) and run Linux on it in a virtual machine. Or you could shop around yard sales or Craigslist for something cheap, yet more modern, to dedicate to Linux.

Linux is a robust and powerful operating system, just like Windows or MacOS. But it needs sufficient hardware, or you will not be satisfied with it. Good luck!

For further reference, take a look at this chart on Wikipedia to see how few Linux distros even come close to your system requirements, both RAM and hard drive. We have a couple of wizards on this forum, but I don't think even their magic will help. ;)

Sorry, George, but you are going to find very few Linux systems that will run on that little RAM.
that a good point. if money a problem try get a Hp computer with Intel pentium gold inside and 4gb of ram. should be less the 400 usd. i bought mine 3 or 4months ago and works great on linux mint 20.1 best part is it has one pcie 16 x slot

For further reference, take a look at this chart on Wikipedia to see how few Linux distros even come close to your system requirements, both RAM and hard drive. We have a couple of wizards on this forum, but I don't think even their magic will help. ;)
Tiny Core works but so does CorePlus which isTiny Core big bother . also Tiny SliTaz will work

If you want to have fun with old equipment thats fine , but it is a 32bit machine and they are now a dying breed with support falling away, if you are serious about changing to Linux , then I would not consider even trying a fully fledged distro on the dell, Like others I would suggest you try running a selection of distributions live from a pen-drive,on your main machine.
My lowest powered fully operating system has 1.5gb ram a 1.5gh atom [first gen] processor . on this I run a fully fledged version of Peppermint 10 respin, [this is coming to the end of its life. and i await to see if they do a new 32bit version]

if money a problem try get a Hp computer with Intel pentium gold inside and 4gb of ram. should be less the 400 usd
An even cheaper introduction to Linux could come in the form of a Raspberry Pi or other single board computer. This new model comes in a kit for about $100 that includes everything but a monitor (HDMI needed, you may can use your home television). I recently bought this model as a kit for about $120 that included 8 GB of RAM (without HDMI monitor).

The kits come with an SD card with Linux already installed (Raspberry Pi OS), so it is very plug-and-play to get started. But there is not much space on the SD card so you cannot add a whole lot more to it unless you add USB storage. With more knowledge and experience, you can replace the Raspberry Pi OS with other Linux distributions too... those that make a version for the ARM CPU architecture. Not every Linux makes an ARM version.

Most people use a Raspberry Pi for a particular project rather than as their daily operating system, but it is a fairly capable device except for the low storage capacity. The base cost of most Pi models is only $35, so the cost of new RAM for your old Dell would go a long way towards buying one of these. But the base Pi needs a power supply, keyboard, mouse and monitor... so you have to factor these costs in unless you already have them. I would at least recommend that you get the power supply made for the Pi, if you decide to purchase one.

G'day George from DownUnder and welcome to linux.org :)

Before I foul up a computer that more or less does what I want,...

A valid concern.

Usually, I try to focus on providing a solution to what the User has asked for, but here, the specs are too limiting, in my opinion.

An alternative tack to take is to try out Linux using your main computer, but not putting it at any risk.

If you want to explore those avenues, then you can (not in any particular order)
  • Run Linux from a USB stick
  • Run Linux from a USB stick saving changes you make (called Persistence)
  • Perform a full install to a USB stick (suggest 32 GB or more) - this will initially require 2 USB sticks and ports, one for the Linux .iso to be loaded to and made bootable, the other to install to and made bootable
  • Run Linux from a VM - Virtual Machine on your existing Windows install. This VM might be VirtualBox by Oracle, VMWare or other
If you think this has merit, give us the specs for your main rig, and we can look further into it with you.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Greetings All,

First of all, thanks to everyone for the responses, for which I am quite grateful.

I think I want to try to do is load one of the primitive versions of Linux onto a flash drive and boot my primitive computer from the flash drive.

Before I try that, however, I have more questions.

All I'm looking to do, at least initially, is read RTF and PDF files. The Windows system that currently boots the computer (XP I believe) comes with Wordpad, which is able to read the RTF files.

So the first question is, would any of the primitive versions of Linux have something built in that could read RTF files, PDF files, or, preferably both?

Assuming the answer to that question is "Yes," another question arises. Right now, I have a folder on the desktop with a lot of files which I can access when the computer boots via Windows. If I boot via the Linux OS, would that folder be accessible to me or inaccessible to me.

If inaccessible, if the folder were stored on the same flash drive that is going to be used to boot the computer (assuming they both fit), would I be able to access the folder then move it over to the Linux system.

If the Linux OS does not come with something that could access the RTF and PDF files, what simple LInux program would you recommend I try to work with to read my RTF and PDF files?

Thanks for all,

George

Linux is not an Operating System but a kernel, combing the GNU tools with the Linux kernel is what makes everything work together as an OS. The different combinations of Kernel, GNU tools and desktop environments are called distributions not Linux Operating Systems.

diffrent distributions have diffrent wordpads but it would be easy to install abiword and the extension pack that would cover most sins.

open my computer look for the drive that the files are on, right click, open then look for your folder [dosn't matter if the docs &picts are in a winows, mac ,another system drive] and open the folder

i would not recommend putting them on the same pendrive

edit.. linux is the engine, the distribution is the final car .applications are your personal modifications

windows is the car programs are your personal modifications,
bur don't worry too much you will pick it up as we go

Bwiz

Last edited:
i have just plugged a couple of extra drives into this laptop, see screenshot
https://postimg.cc/tYySYJLd

this is what i get from my computer.. first icon pendrive [temp storage] second icon card reader [empty] third icon satta harddrive connected via usb holds a live installation of MX, forth icon a harddrive with old windows instalation [i use this for testing bits and pieces] fith is the optical drive [empty] and the sixths is my mint20 installation [main drive]

I think I want to try to do is load one of the primitive versions of Linux onto a flash drive and boot my primitive computer from the flash drive.
Again, I'm sorry to be full of doubt, George. There is a more than good chance that your old Dell will not boot on a USB flash drive. If I have found the correct service manual (see below)... your Dell originally shipped with Windows 98, although you may have upgraded it to Windows XP. The manual indicates it should have a CD-ROM... and that means it is likely a read-only device, and not a CD burner (so that you could burn a Linux disk on it). Look in the Dell BIOS Setup to see if USB is an available option in the Boot section.

The Windows system that currently boots the computer (XP I believe)
If it is still Windows 98, that system used to require special drivers to access a USB flash drive. If it is XP, it may have drivers built-in to access the USB, but I'm not sure. Have you ever used a flash drive on this computer... recently? If you plug in a USB flash drive and can read/write to it, I strongly recommend that you save your RTF and PDF files (and anything else important to you) to the flash drive and move them over to your modern computer for safe keeping. If you later "burn" a Linux distro to a USB, it will erase everything on it, so be careful not to lose your files by leaving them on the same flash drive.

Modern Linux can open both RTF and PDF files, but you may need different programs... very possibly programs that will not be available on the version you need to run on the Dell. This isn't a big deal. The big deal is just getting you on Linux, and how to do that. I would again recommend against spending time (or money) on the old Dell, except to retrieve your important files. If the Dell is indeed a Window 98 vintage... it is just not worth the effort.

If you insist on trying, and if your Dell BIOS shows you can boot on USB, you can use your modern computer to burn a 32-bit Linux to USB (Tiny Core Plus, or other, but be sure it is 32-bit). Don't try to install Linux to the hard drive until you have saved your files, or they will be lost.

If your Dell BIOS does not show a USB option, do you have a CD/DVD burner on your modern computer that you can make a Linux CD instead? And maybe a few blank CD's to test with? DVD's will not work. CD's should be CD-R or CD+R and not CD-RW type. Each Linux distro you would try will need it's own CD and will not be usable again for anything else. Booting Linux on a CD will not let you copy your files back to the CD, but it may let you access the USB port so that you could copy there.

Attachments

• latitude_cp.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Greeting all and thanks for your help.

I'm still undecided which computer I want to try to use Linux on, but I have pretty much decided to try to install Tiny Core. The trail has led me to Tiny Core's Quick and Easy Overview which led me to another question. The way I read the "Minimum System Requirements," "USB Stick Mode," and "USB Stick Boot Mode" instructions, I cannot install TinyCore, even booting through a flash drive, without having the "Tiny Core CD."

I do not have that CD, and right now I don't have a computer that can burn CDs. I had one, but it crashed and when I re-inserted the Windows disc, my ability to burn CDs did not return.

Did I read the Tiny Core instructions correctly? Is the CD necessary to install off of a flash drive?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

Latest posts