Why a good philosophical aphorism can be so powerful

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Taken from abc.news.net.au

Crikey - deep thinking for my Saturday morning :)

Because people like shrotcuts and this is exactly what "philosophical" aphorisms are and offer; a shrotcut to whether find some kind of an answer to something otherwise people would not. I like reading and studying topics/subjects regarding the use of language; how is used and why is used the way it is. I've been doing that for years, in fact, I studied linguistic at the University and I found that people use what's been offer to them without even wonder or question if that's all there is. We still use words which have lost any kind of meaning, if they ever had it and created new ones even worst. Consider the recent discussions about the "master" and "slave" controversy. Why the act of threatening someone with doing something terrible that can damage them unless they comply to our demands is called "blackmailing". We, our society, needs a new "vocabulary", one that change the way we live, one that help us understand why on earth is the world dying and yet people keep doing the same things that are killing it, some people claim the cause is "progress", yet it's not clear what "progress" is and/or how exactly "we progress" from and where to. We need a new language; a new set of semantic rules for defining and "naming stuff", one that teach us new ways, better ways and for that we have to unite; without each other help, there ain't no hope for us!
These are some books I really like that deals with these and other topics:
How to Do Things with Words by J.L Austin
Metaphors That Think Us by Lizcano Fernandez Emmanuel(in Spanish and don't know whether there's an English version)
Discourse and Knowledge by Teun A. Van Dijk
Language and Mind by Noam Chomsy.
The Rule Of The Words by Juan Carlos Monedero(in Spanish and think there's an English version)

This site:

Linguistics : i'm currently studying TWI , i try and break it down to understand it; quite often my wife(fluent in TWI) is unable to help with that but I make break throughs . My problem is that i find it hard to accept and learn if i don't understand it . Personally i think Twitter has a lot to answer for.

Yes, Andy's wife is from Ghana.

Esperanto is a mix of French, English, Spanish, German and Slavic languages.

Perhaps we should all learn something similar?

Friday here in Oz, so

Enjoy your Linux, stay safe from COVID, and

Avagudweegend.

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts