Why are hyperlinks blue?

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

I just wanted to share this interesting article https://blog.mozilla.org/en/internet-culture/deep-dives/why-are-hyperlinks-blue/
An excerpt:
The internet has ingrained itself into every aspect of our lives, but there’s one aspect of the digital world that I bet you take for granted. Did you ever notice that many links, specifically hyperlinks, are blue? When a co-worker casually asked me why links are blue, I was stumped. As a user experience designer who has created websites since 2001, I’ve always made my links blue. I have advocated for the specific shade of blue, and for the consistent application of blue, yes, but I’ve never stopped and wondered, why are links blue? It was just a fact of life. Grass is green and hyperlinks are blue. Culturally, we associate links with the color blue so much that in 2016, when Google changed its links to black, it created quite a disruption.

I've never wondered about this myself until now. Hope you enjoy it and learn new things, like I did. :)

That is indeed an interesting read, thanks!

I keep mine blue, as a general rule, because I don't want to break conformity. Users expect it to be blue, so I don't deviate from that.

OMG, going back and seeing CDE again was painful lol. I used to shudder every time I had to deal with that. Thankfully it wasn't often as most of our Unix servers didn't actually have a GUI. We had one Director of IT that insisted on having it on our main financials server though.

One thing I dislike today about what web developers do is the fact that many now will color links and visited links the same exact color. That defeats the point as to why they used to change to a darker shade of blue. So you know you've visit this link before.

Members online

Latest posts