WHY CAN'T I FIND A ANSWER TO: what usb printer-scanners work with xsane on ubuntu 20.04

Wiz1966

Reaction score
Credits
I have wasted numerous hours trying to get a older Brothers printer-scanner working on 20.04. Printer works, not scanner... Even contacted xsane Gitlab and found that it wasn't supported. But yet I got it to work on 18.04. So, WHY CAN'T I FIND A ANSWER TO: what usb printer- scanners work with xsane on ubuntu 20.04. I spent a lot of time searching for what printer-scanners will work and all I find is one after another post of people trying to get their scanner working. SO, if I have to buy a new usb printer-scanner, I need to know WHAT Scanner of a USB Combo unit WILL WORK............

Last edited:

The model is DCP 7040. The lead from Xsane told me they don't support that model and if the drivers from Brother dont work it was probably because Ubuntu 20.04 Ubuntu changed the location of some of their libraries, so it is likely to be an installation issue with their package.

Thanks for the feedback, will check it out..

I have already tried the Brother drivers, they didn't work...

Open this file

Code:
sudo gedit -H /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules

Add the following line to the file, just before the line # The following rule will disable USB autosuspend for the device

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"`

Reboot

Spent a lot of time working with the maintainer of Xsane trying many different steps and with the suggestion from member of this site, I got the scanner working.

Install the older libusb library that aren't present in 20.04

sudo apt install libusb-0.1-4

Install Brother's scanner drivers from their website. It will put the libs into /usr/lib64/sane where Ubuntu will not find them.

In 64-bit Linux Mint 19.x and Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04 the location for the supporting library files has changed, and the driver for the scanner feature doesn't always take that into account. The Brother driver then puts them in /usr/lib64, whereas your operating system expects them in /usr/lib.

So for a 64-bit system, you now need to execute the following three commands in order to make your scanner work well (use copy/paste to transfer them one by one to the terminal, and press Enter after each command):
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrscandec*.so* /usr/lib
sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/sane
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother*.so* /usr/lib/sane

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Members online