Why complaining is bad for your brain + Solutions

MatsuShimizu

Reaction score
Credits
How Complaining Affects the Brain and General Health - Psych2Go

Factcheck from Google. For details, refer to link m1psychology [3] below:
complaininggoogle-search.png
What Complaining Does to Your Brain - Jack Canfield

Jack Canfield (born August 19, 1944) is an American author, motivational speaker, corporate trainer, and entrepreneur. - Wikipedia

From psychology website, VeryWellMind [1]:
As you focus more on minimizing your complaining and maximizing your gratitude and excitement about life, you will likely feel a difference in your stress levels and your level of overall life satisfaction.
The first step is to become aware when you are complaining too much or slipping into rumination. The next step is to try something new. The following proven strategies can help:
  • Thought-stopping. This is a technique that many therapists recommend for a variety of issues because it works well. When an undesirable thought enters your head, you literally interrupt it with the mental image of a stop sign or the word “stop!” and move on to a different thought.
  • Journaling. Writing in a journal brings many health and wellness-related benefits. The trick to effective journaling is to write about the problem and your feelings about it and then brainstorm solutions and see the positives in your situation.
  • Seeking support. Social support is a great stress reliever, and if you're lucky, you have some very supportive and wise people in your life to talk to when you're down. Instead of complaining to them, laugh with them. If you face a bigger challenge, tell them how you're feeling, get their thoughts (and maybe a hug), and then move on to happier topics. No complaining necessary.
  • Remaining grateful. Counting my blessings is one of my favorite ways to get out of a bad mood or switch my focus away from the annoying things in life. And it’s hard to complain when you’re thinking about how lucky you are.
  • Taking action. The urge to complain comes from a dissatisfaction with something that’s going on in one’s life (often coupled with a feeling of inability to change it). Complaints can be a signal that action is needed. So, the next time you feel like complaining, instead focus on what you can do to change your circumstances—and then (if possible) do it.
  • Cultivating optimism. It’s much easier to drop negative habits by replacing them with positive ones. (In fact, many experts say that this is the only effective way to do it!) Replacing negative thoughts and words with optimistic ones brings so many benefits. It’s worth trying, even if you’re not planning on giving up complaining anytime soon.
How to maintain a gratitude journal for stress relief
From VeryWellMind [2]:
The following are simple steps to maintaining a gratitude journal, which is a useful tool for stress management.

Decide on a journal. You may want to maintain your journal online or in paper form. When deciding which journal method to use, think about:
  • Whether you'd rather type or print. If you spend all day on the computer, writing on paper may be a good change.
  • Where you'd like to do the bulk of your writing. Will you want to journal in bed before going to sleep? Can you steal a few minutes alone in the den each night?
  • Whether privacy is an issue that may affect your decision. Keep in mind that a computer is not entirely secure, especially online word processing software. Likewise, your personal laptop may be better if you'd like to keep your thoughts private in your home.
Decide on a framework. There are a number of ways that you can structure your journal entries. Do what works best for you and change it up if you need to. The main idea is to get yourself into a place of reflection and gratitude. You can write long, descriptive paragraphs about what you appreciate in your daily life.
  • Your gratitude journal can consist entirely of lists.
  • You can write a preset number of items per entry (10 per day, for example).
  • You can just resolve to write about whatever seems right for a particular day.
Commit to a schedule. An important aspect of the long-term success of your gratitude journal is the frequency with which you use it. It's usually best to aim for once a day or several times per week in the beginning, but allow yourself some wiggle room if things get busy.
  • You want to make a commitment that will keep you inspired to write, even if you aren't always in the mood because this exercise can help change your mood.
  • Just don't allow your schedule to be so rigid that you'll be tempted to give up the whole plan if you slip up once or twice.
Just keep writing. Start by spending a few minutes writing something down; it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Just start where you are, and don't think too much about it. Many people find that their whole attitude changes once they've been keeping a gratitude journal for a while. They tend to notice things throughout the day that they may want to include in the journal, things they wouldn't have otherwise noticed. To maintain a more optimistic attitude, be sure to write regularly.
  • If you find yourself skipping days with increasing frequency, gently remind yourself why you're maintaining the gratitude journal in the first place.
  • Be grateful that you are able to get back into the habit of writing again anytime you want. Enjoy!
4 Tips for Gratitude Journaling
  • Gratitude journals tend to be most effective when you write about three items at the end of each day. This is regular enough and simple enough to be do-able and writing at the end of the day tends to bring the best benefits.
  • Remember that you may want to read over your journal entries in the future. This can be a great pick-me-up when you're feeling stressed or depressed.
  • Experiment with the types of things you write about. If you find yourself always mentioning the obvious things ("I'm grateful for my children") every day, challenge yourself to notice the subtle things ("Today I had caramel ice cream cone, and it was amazing!")
  • Remember that all gratitude doesn't need to be saved for the journal. Tell the people in your life how much you appreciate them. From people in your family to sales clerks and postal employees you encounter in your day, everyone likes to know that they're appreciated. Their positive reactions can help put you in a positive mood, too!
The Importance of Gratitude in the Time of COVID
From VeryWellMind [4]:
Benefits of Gratitude During COVID-19
Research shows that positive emotions like gratitude are closely connected to health and wellness.1 Not only do positive emotions promote happiness; they also create an upward spiral in your life.
  • Emotions like gratitude and humor also help you cope with anxiety and uncertainty by focusing your mind on the things in life that you value, as well as what is in your control, and what you can give back to others.
  • Cultivating an attitude of gratefulness also can help build your resilience, which in turn, helps you cope with your current issues or problems and provides a way for you to move forward despite the challenges you face.1
  • There also is some research that indicates that practicing gratitude during a crisis like COVID-19 is not only important for boosting your mood psychologically, but also helps your physical health in response to illnesses like respiratory infections.
Gratitude Provides Health Benefits, Study Shows
One study of 118 adults found being grateful resulted in significantly fewer physical health problems such as:
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Headaches
  • Gastrointestinal problems
  • Respiratory infections
Additionally, limiting worry about COVID-19 may actually improve your outcome should you contract it. A study of 997 survivors of the SARS epidemic found that the recovered individuals were more resilient, had better social support, and experienced less SARS-related worry.

Ways to Be More Grateful
  • Write a Thank-You Note, Text, or Email. Expressing gratitude can help you feel more connected to other people in your life.
  • Tell Someone You Appreciate Them. Whether it's a thumbs up in a Zoom meeting or a simple statement during a telephone call, letting someone know you are grateful for them not only improves your mood, but improves their mood as well.
  • Start a Gratitude Journal.
  • Make Gratitude a Daily Habit. One way to make gratitude a regular part of your day is to make it a habit to think of three things you are thankful each day.
  • Look for Patterns in Your Life. For instance, if you are regularly thankful for something in nature, getting outside may be what you need to boost your mood.
  • Give Thanks Through Meditation. Countless studies have demonstrated that mindfulness and meditation can have a positive impact on a person's mental health and well-being.
  • Keep Track of Everything You're Grateful For. Using a phone app like Gratitude Plus, you can record the things you're grateful for and reflect on them later when you are struggling.
  • Give Thanks for Everyday Things. Think about the worst moments in your life. Then, contrast those with where you are now. Consider not only how you endured, but also what you learned through the experience.
List of sources:
[1] https://www.verywellmind.com/how-and-why-stop-complaining-3144882
[2] https://www.verywellmind.com/writing-in-a-gratitude-journal-for-stress-relief-3144887
[3] https://m1psychology.com/complaining-is-bad-for-your-brain/
[4] https://www.verywellmind.com/why-gratitude-is-important-during-covid-19-5097076

About VeryWellMind: Check out their review board of psychiatrists here.

Verywell is a website providing health and wellness information by health professionals. It was launched on 26 April 2016 as a media property of About.com (now Dotdash) and its first standalone brand. Its content is created by 120 health experts and reviewed by board-certified physicians. - Wikipedia.

The website m1psychology [3] is a website that I found on Google search. It refers to these sources below. These links are located at the end of article [3] above:
m1psychology.png

There's conflicting evidence about complaining being health and not healthy. The use of using a journal or whatever to document how you feel is really pointless because it doesn't get to the root cause of what you or whoever else is complaining about.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

But (and Wizard's but is seldom far behind him) -

The practice of journaling what you feel and what you have done/said could be of use to a mental health practitioner, providing useful information in getting to the root of a problem. Far better than someone asking you "Well, give me some examples" and you cannot put a finger on more than one or two, if that.

Matsu's Post could just as easily been added to Andy's

Mental Health thread, but maybe it has enough merit to stand in its own regard.

Food for thought and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Maybe yes, maybe no.

But (and Wizard's but is seldom far behind him) -

The practice of journaling what you feel and what you have done/said could be of use to a mental health practitioner, providing useful information in getting to the root of a problem. Far better than someone asking you "Well, give me some examples" and you cannot put a finger on more than one or two, if that.

Matsu's Post could just as easily been added to Andy's

Food for thought and

Avagudweegend

Wizard
yes it would have been appropriate

Yes, I noticed that thread. But the way I see it, that thread is for Captain-Sensible to share his personal life with his friends, so I don't want to disturb that.

do you have a gratitude stone MatsuShimizu[/USER]

I have lots of journals in text files (Gedit). Gratitude journal, anxiety management journal, and more. If I don't want others to read those, I encrypt them on my USB drive and hard disk.

I also do meditation every day to reduce stress, anxiety.

The use of using a journal or whatever to document how you feel is really pointless because it doesn't get to the root cause of what you
I don't know about others, but it works for me. Each time I feel angry or depressed, I will write them in a separate journal than a gratitude journal. This way, I can figure out what makes me angry. It could be social media like Reddit, a bad day, lack of sleep, or even stuff that I eat or drink. This way I can get rid of whatever problem that was disturbing me.

or whoever else is complaining about.
For this part, it is hard to tell because it depends on the situation. If that person is toxic, then ignore him.

Last edited:
But the way I see it, that thread is for Captain-Sensible to share his personal life with his friends, so I don't want to disturb that.

No Matsu, I don't think you need to feel that way.

Prior to the start of that Thread, Andy and I were speaking of such issues, and I mentioned that we should start a Thread on the subject for all to participate. With me being as slow as a wet week, and Andy being as quick as a flash, he jumped in and started her up, and then I was in second to explain to people about me.

Cheers

Chris

Staff online