Why did I abandon Windows for good?

I'm currently using Genuine Windows 10 with the latest update, and I'm experiencing auto refreshes, lagging, and freezing. I'm planning to transfer to linux again, if it wasn't for the familiarity, nostalgia and manufacturer support then I will not use windows.

I'm using Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1650 and MSI MAG Bazooka b550m.

I heard in YouTube comments that Microsoft is forcing us to update to Win 11 because Processors can't handle Windows 10. So it's business after all. And also, I think they use this opportunity to add more spying activities to us.

Last edited:

I'm currently using Genuine Windows 10 with the latest update, and I'm experiencing auto refreshes, lagging, and freezing. I'm planning to transfer to linux again, if it wasn't for the familiarity, nostalgia and manufacturer support then I will not use windows.

I'm using Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1650 and MSI MAG Bazooka b550m.

I heard in YouTube comments that Microsoft is forcing us to update to Win 11 because Processors can't handle Windows 10. So it's business after all. And also, I think they use this opportunity to add more spying activities to us.
I had windows 10 and tried to update to 11, but there was nothing on the system or BIOS that was allowing the update to boot, it kept telling me to enable UEFI boot and it was already enabled on both locations, so i decided i would pursue the cheaper and more challenging road of 100% linux. The only thing ive had major issues with is gaming.

Microsoft is forcing us to update to Win 11 because Processors can't handle Windows 10.
I had windows 10 and tried to update to 11, but there was nothing on the system or BIOS that was allowing the update to boot,
Na.. W11 is a more commercial decision in association with manufacturers, 95% of kit made before mid 2021 is not capable of running W11, forcing those with tunnel vision to purchase new expensive kit, where their existing gear is still comparatively new and has years of productive life, It should be a bonus for those of us that use Linux as in theory there will be a glut of 2 to 6 yr old kit, making it even cheaper. [ I was watching a refurbished 3 yr old Ryzen 5 with 16gb 15.5" screen, and it was just on £300 that's £200 cheaper than it would have been 6 months ago,]. Let the mugs buy new to keep their addiction to Microsoft, We will benefit in the end.

I had windows 10 and tried to update to 11, but there was nothing on the system or BIOS that was allowing the update to boot, it kept telling me to enable UEFI boot and it was already enabled on both locations, so i decided i would pursue the cheaper and more challenging road of 100% linux. The only thing ive had major issues with is gaming.
That's okay. Anyway, you can use Win 11 using some hack. I think it's rufus.

Na.. W11 is a more commercial decision in association with manufacturers, 95% of kit made before mid 2021 is not capable of running W11, forcing those with tunnel vision to purchase new expensive kit, where their existing gear is still comparatively new and has years of productive life, It should be a bonus for those of us that use Linux as in theory there will be a glut of 2 to 6 yr old kit, making it even cheaper. [ I was watching a refurbished 3 yr old Ryzen 5 with 16gb 15.5" screen, and it was just on £300 that's £200 cheaper than it would have been 6 months ago,]. Let the mugs buy new to keep their addiction to Microsoft, We will benefit in the end.
Sorry I think I lack context in my post. I heard that Microsoft and Processor Companies agreed to make another Operating System because the newly produced processor can't keep up with Windows 10.
Anyway, you were wrong about old desktop and laptops can't run Windows 11. I heard someone installed a Win 11 on their old laptop using the Rufus Hack

The only thing ive had major issues with is gaming.
That's the only thing I haven't had issues with for a few months already. 99% of the games I wanna play run just fine, sometimes even better than on Windows.
From bottom to top: the first 4 are native linux games, the other 4 (from SS4) are windows games that run just fine which is why I've made .desktop files for them. They run so well that I even forget I'm playing them in linux. Serious Sam 4 also runs that good. Quite recently I played Snowrunner which runs better than a native linux game but I dumped it bc it's full of bugs. Other games which I played recently and which all of them ran better than on windows: Forza 4, Forza 5, Hitman III (the latest Hitman that requires DX12), RDR2 (I don't like this one but I ran it just for the test to see how it runs), GTA 5 runs better than ever, World of Warships, World of Tanks (including the Blitz edition)...
The only games that won't run (and that's not linux's fault) are those with Easy Anti-Cheat. But since I don't like any of these games, I don't care about that.

8L1LFlE.png

I heard in YouTube comments that Microsoft is forcing us to update to Win 11 because Processors can't handle Windows 10.
That's the greatest BS I've ever heard! :D They're forcing you to update to Crapindows 11 because they got a taste of what it's like to be a slave master with Win10 and now want more. People started making 3rd party software to override Microshit's control over your computer, thus returning some of that control to you and Microshit didn't like that. So now they're forcing you to Crap 11 bc there you have less than ever control of what and how to happen on your own computer. The control is so tight there that you can't even install the drivers you want, bc the stupid Windows keeps deleting them. Therefore no ShadowPlay, no GeForce Experience, nothing. Only what Microshit has decided to be available as a driver can be installed. You can't even install the stupid Crapindows in legacy mode (MBR) because it doesn't support it anymore. And if all of your hard disks are MBR, you're gonna have to reformat them in GPT. Again - your hands are forced and you have no saying on the matter. Whereas Linux doesn't care how many MBR partitions/drives you have, it install in legacy mode just fine! And that's why I have no Crapindows anymore...

That's the greatest BS I've ever heard! :D They're forcing you to update to Crapindows 11 because they got a taste of what it's like to be a slave master with Win10 and now want more. People started making 3rd party software to override Microshit's control over your computer, thus returning some of that control to you and Microshit didn't like that. So now they're forcing you to Crap 11 bc there you have less than ever control of what and how to happen on your own computer. The control is so tight there that you can't even install the drivers you want, bc the stupid Windows keeps deleting them. Therefore no ShadowPlay, no GeForce Experience, nothing. Only what Microshit has decided to be available as a driver can be installed. You can't even install the stupid Crapindows in legacy mode (MBR) because it doesn't support it anymore. And if all of your hard disks are MBR, you're gonna have to reformat them in GPT. Again - your hands are forced and you have no saying on the matter. Whereas Linux doesn't care how many MBR partitions/drives you have, it install in legacy mode just fine! And that's why I have no Crapindows anymore...
Yes! That's their point! Anyway, I don't want to stress about it now because someday we won't have any choice but to follow them because they will threaten us if we don't go with what they want. Someday, the world leaders will agree to make an operating system to control us =) I hope we will die on that era.

For those that like Windows 10, or can't upgrade, you still have three years of support. That's 10 year support life, on par with some of the Linux distros. RHEL and Ubuntu offer support for long terms. In Ubuntu's case it needs to be a LTS version (obviously) and you'll need the free for 3 devices Ubuntu Advantage.

That's the only thing I haven't had issues with for a few months already. 99% of the games I wanna play run just fine, sometimes even better than on Windows.
From bottom to top: the first 4 are native linux games, the other 4 (from SS4) are windows games that run just fine which is why I've made .desktop files for them. They run so well that I even forget I'm playing them in linux. Serious Sam 4 also runs that good. Quite recently I played Snowrunner which runs better than a native linux game but I dumped it bc it's full of bugs. Other games which I played recently and which all of them ran better than on windows: Forza 4, Forza 5, Hitman III (the latest Hitman that requires DX12), RDR2 (I don't like this one but I ran it just for the test to see how it runs), GTA 5 runs better than ever, World of Warships, World of Tanks (including the Blitz edition)...
The only games that won't run (and that's not linux's fault) are those with Easy Anti-Cheat. But since I don't like any of these games, I don't care about that.

8L1LFlE.png
The real reason why i cant run some games is i dont have a graphics card...i didnt build the machine for gaming, so im not going to rebuild the whole system in order to accomate my occasional urge to play videogames.

And yes, processors handle windows 10, i still have a USB copy but i really dont care about windows anymore, it just encourages people to lazily submit to proprietary expertise.

I'm just tired of the installation hassles with Windows. I don't trust them quite frankly.

Their customer "service" is terrible. I'll save you a call:

"Can't help you try reinstall try reinstall try updating try reinstall..."

There! Saved you a call.

the reason i left windows was; i never used it in the first place, my first computer was a rpi 3b+ running rasbian (a fork of debian) and i just didnt leave linux and have stuck with it for coming up on 5 years now

my first computer was a rpi 3b+ running rasbian

Now *that* is a rarity. In the history of ever, nobody has ever typed that sentence before today. Well, pretty much nobody (I suspect).

Apart from the reasons I listed in the first post, there's something else that makes me enjoy linux a lot more than I ever did Windows: there's always something new to learn and I like learning new things. I never had that joy with Windows, there was never anything new to learn, it was always the same.

Sorry I think I lack context in my post. I heard that Microsoft and Processor Companies agreed to make another Operating System because the newly produced processor can't keep up with Windows 10.
Anyway, you were wrong about old desktop and laptops can't run Windows 11. I heard someone installed a Win 11 on their old laptop using the Rufus Hack
I have installed windows 11 on many old laptop using rufus

Rufus gives options to disable TPM requirement, MBR BIOS, Processor, RAM etc

Rufus also gives options to disable the microsoft online account requirement

Only problem with rufus hack is that, Microsoft will not provide software update to next version (Means if you had installed Windows 11 21H2 then you wont get update to Windows 11 22H2)

So everytime we have to re-install the OS, there are some registry hack for software update still it wont work

From what @wharjack and @Sunil1991 have been saying about Rufus and hacks, the reason for them being favoured seems enough of a reason to give Windows the flick.

I am considering moving this thread to Off Topic, but I would prefer the agreement of the OP @rado84 .

He (I think) genuinely started this Thread to explain why and how he has abandoned Windows in favour of Linux (a good move, IMO), and perhaps not to entertain ways and means to keep using it.

I have no particular grievance against Windows, if anything, using it gave me the opportunity to experience why Linux is so much better. And if you need to keep Windows onboard because of some app or functionality or work commitment that is indispensable to you, so be it.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks Mate, I appreciate it :)

Have a good day.

Wiz

He (I think) genuinely started this Thread to explain why and how he has abandoned Windows in favour of Linux (a good move, IMO)
Your thinking is correct. If I wanted to keep using the digital dictatorship Crapindows, I'd find a way. After 7 years of dual booting, now I'm counting the months and the years without that BS. I even have a reminder on the desktop (in the conky config) to tell me the exact date I got rid of Crapindows for good. :D

BnNIe9d.png

I adore that. :)

Not that I am biased of course. LOL.

In the old days we used to call that "positive reinforcement". Like sticking a note on your refrigerator as to when you gave up smoking, drinking or cream buns and potato crisps.

Members online