Why human computer interaction in Linux is the worse for the very beginning users compare to Windows and MacOS

I have used Linux for 4 years now, and I just realize the reason why Linux is only have around 2, 3% of market share despite the fact that it is free, secure and really customizable ... So the main reason I think is that install software experience is the major effect. If Linux can make the installation process as easy as Windows and Mac, It could be a turn.
My wife's a linux noob; she knows nothing about using the terminal and refuses to learn, she only wants to use her laptop the same way she did when it had Windows 10; open a GUI, click and run whatever it is she needs to and it happens that she can just do that in Linux. I installed MX-Linux on her laptop last year so she's been using it for quite some time now, so far she has had no complaints at all, well, almost, she does complain about LibreOffice not being as good as MS office suite which I don't agree with but that's another story. She never ever uses the terminal, not once, she does everything she needs from a GUI; install software, edit documents, play media, navigate the system and any other thing regular users need to do, I did have to teach her about synaptics though, but beyond that she found her way around all by herself. So while I do agree with you to some extent in that it might be challenging for new-fresh Linux users to find their way around the system, I also believe it is the same for new-fresh windows/mac users too, how do I know this? cause that happened to me back in the day when I used a computer for the first time, which had Windows XP and I didn't have a clue on what to do. Just point and click, that easy you say? not quite. It took me a while to learn how to use Windows till I finally did. It took me a while to learn how to use a Linux distro till I finally did, now I run Arch which people say it's a difficult distro aimed at experienced users only, but I found that once you have it installed it behaves just like any other distro, sure it has its own "ways" of doing things and probably demand a bit of more time from the user but with some effort you can have Arch running the way you want it to; user friendly kind. Learning an OS requires some time, it doesn't matter which one it is and this is true for every single one of them. I've never used, at least not in a regular basis but only just a couple of times, any Mac OS so, if I were to use it, I'd probably find some difficulty to do some things I do in a blink of an eye in Linux and even in Windows. Regarding the market share, you're talking about desktop computers and like someone else pointed out, there's a difference between Linux as in general i.e the kernel and a Linux distro i.e Ubuntu, so you can't just compare that, take a look at Android for example which runs on Linux. Besides, most people don't get to decide what their new brand pc's OS will be and we all know most manufacturers ship theirs with Windows, so it's more like they just get what it's out there, if they were offered a choice, they would probably choose otherwise.

Last edited:

she does complain about LibreOffice not being as good as MS office suite which I don't agree with but that's another story.
So if you had a Windows 10 computer than there's a good chance that you may have a Microsoft account.
If so simply log into your Microsoft account and use MS Office / Office 365 or whatever other Microsoft software you need to use.

I reluctantly created a Microsoft account to get the free Windows 10 update / upgrade so I might as well use it since I created it.

Cloud Apps ain't bad at all from my experience and I do this when needed from my Linux Distros and it is very handy when needed.

So if you had a Windows 10 computer than there's a good chance that you may have a Microsoft account.
If so simply log into your Microsoft account and use MS Office / Office 365 or whatever other Microsoft software you need to use.

I reluctantly created a Microsoft account to get the free Windows 10 update / upgrade so I might as well use it since I created it.

Cloud Apps ain't bad at all from my experience and I do this when needed from my Linux Distros and it is very handy when needed.
Hmmm ... I hadn't thought about it and I don't think she has either. Will tell her to try this. :) Thanks for the tip!

Members online