Why is installing MySQL so hard now?

CraigAJohnson

Reaction score
Credits
I downloaded the latest version of SUSE Tumbleweed for my new server, and it installed fine but no MySQL. I looked for it in Yast2, but only found MySQL Workbench which installed fine but can't do anything with it. The MySQL core is missing and the service is not running. I downloaded the RPMs and Yast2 won't recognize them, tried adding a repository. that didn't work either. Why is it so hard? everything else has been pretty easy. Should I try a different distro? I like KDE, not interested in Ubuntu or Gnome. I used Fedora in the past, but switched to Suse about 10 years ago, just don't use it much or keep up to speed on what's going on. I need to get this working. Linux has come a long way, but there still seem to be little problems like this with various versions over the years. I don't have an interest in the Maria spin off, just want MySQL back. What do I have to do?

You can always install it in a container if you can use docker. That’s what I do for all my services.

Check this for MySQL.

RHEL8(and clones) have both myql server and mariadb-server in the default repositories.
mysql-server.x86_64 : The MySQL server and related files
mariadb-server.x86_64 : The MariaDB server and related files
There's really no difference as in usage between Mysql and Mariadb.

Last edited:
Since this is a fresh install I thought I'd try Fedora 35 instead. The Server is a Dell PowerEdge R730 with 3 240gb SSD drives and a lot of memory. I went thru the bios and set up the raid controller virtual drives - initially I set a single drive to raid0 (which I didn't think was possible) and the other two to raid1 mirrored. Fedora installer recognized a single drive, I couldn't tell if it was the single or the mirror. So I reconfigured the raid to three drives in raid0, the installer couldn't find them. I tried reconfiguring after pulling two drives and set to raid0, still can't find it. I'll stumble about some more, but something isn't set up right. Got the drives configured but Fedora crashes after partitioning, so I'll try another distro.

Last edited:
Update... CentOS Stream 9 crashed after partitioning, Debian 11.2 installed but failed to erase the SUSE boot files so it couldn't boot, Kubuntu installed and is running updates right now. We'll see if I can get MySQL loaded on it. My backup plan is to go back to SUSE and make it work. Not looking forward to that. I did get the three drives sorted out as a mirror with a hot spare. I guess that was the configuration I wanted from the start. I'm just wondering if a desktop OS of Kubuntu can utilize the 16 cores the server has. I have a pretty beefy desktop now with 4 cores running windows 10 and MySQL DB with 36 million rows. One of my stored procedures takes 26 hours to run. I'm hoping it will be a lot faster on the Linux box with the server hardware. We'll see.

Members online

Latest posts