Why Librewolf is not mentioned?

nntn

Reaction score
Credits
No one here is recommending Librewolf browser from the following post:

Is it because of the appimage?

Is it as safe as what is provided in the repositories.

Last edited:

In terms of security, pretty much all modern, mainstream browsers are reasonably secure.

Some are less private than others, but no modern, mainstream browser is going to go leaking your banking details to third parties. No, not even Evil Google is going to do so.

Google will examine your browsing behavior to create a profile to which they'll serve ads - but they're gonna do that anyways with their various cookies and analytics (which can be blocked).

Not sure why then everyone one is harping about how Evil Google is. So Google Chrome and its search engine are not so bad after all.

Last edited:
You're unfamiliar with my normal posts. "Evil Google" was tongue in cheek. I use Google products all the time. I like 'em and they work well for me.

I don't care for Librewolf because for one it's not in the default repositories and I currently don't care for AppImages. I'm not going to jump browser each time Firefox is forked and I don't use one browser I use several browsers for different categories of tasks.

Is it as safe as what is provided in the repositories.
Being new to Linux everything I've researched suggests to install software from the Linux repository's.

I would think that software from a legit reliable manufactures website would be as safe and secure as what's in the Linux repository's.

My understanding is the software from a Linux repository is tested and tweaked to work on a particular Linux distro and known to be secure.

I'm a new Linux so if this is incorrect please remove this post.

Why is Mr. Switched to Linux telling others that Librewolf is the way to go? I now have to wipe out my system and redo Linux Mint.

i know for a fact Googles is not safe. it know way to much about my system . in fact it know i using linux. preety much most browsers are not good but you make them better by ading privacy badger and ublock origin to the browser aswell as media codec. i been using brave so i dont see any benefits useing it over firefox or it derivative

Last edited:
I've been using LW for the past several months now (I'm even using it as I'm typing this), and found it to be a decent browser. That being said, there are some situations where it won't let me access certain webpages because they're not using HTTPS and LW is hardened version of FF. Aside from that, it's not updated as frequently, which is most-likely due to the developers being smaller and having far less funding than Mozilla does.

Brave-browser automatically upgrades site to https.

The fact that LW is not updated as frequently tells you that ever evolving security theats, malware threats etc etc etc are being overlooked for a considerable period of time.

Librewolf is not mentioned simply because it is not up to the task.

If LW ever puts in the effort to pass the requirements to be listed in the Linux Repositories....then I will pay attention. Until then?...not a chance.

Obviously, LW is not as safe as is provided in the repositories.

Brave-browser automatically upgrades site to https.

The fact that LW is not updated as frequently tells you that ever evolving security theats, malware threats etc etc etc are being overlooked for a considerable period of time.

Librewolf is not mentioned simply because it is not up to the task.

If LW ever puts in the effort to pass the requirements to be listed in the Linux Repositories....then I will pay attention. Until then?...not a chance.

Obviously, LW is not as safe as is provided in the repositories.

I did use Brave briefly a while ago, but never got back into using it again for whatever reason (I was probably so used to FF at the time). I might as well take a trip down memory lane soon.

Going back to what I was saying about the developers of LW, the lack of funding and staff is probably what's making them stay less motivated, which in-turn would explain why they're not putting in the effort like they should. Not to play devil's advocate, but that's a difficult spot for anyone to be in.

LibreWolf 93.0-1
firefox 93.0-1 mozilla✓

Librewolf gets updated whenever Firefox gets updated. I have rarely seen it more than a couple of days behind the Mozilla release.

Personally I use Firefox Beta 99% of the time.
94.0b10 (64-bit).

I do have Firefox current, Chromium 95.0.4638.54, Min, Vivaldi, and Tor Browser installed, along with LW and Firefox Beta.

If LW is an appimage then what is the difference among LW, Vivaldi, and Brave? Brave and Vivaldi are not in the default repositories.

Last edited:
LibreWolf is just like all the other FF derivatives. It gets updated a short time afterwards, when they merge the new code into their custom code. It's generally faster when the update resolves a zero-day exploit.

I see no reason why this would compromise your OS. It's even an AppImage, which means that it's run in its own memory space (effectively a jail), having only user-level permissions.

It's also true that the software in your default repositories tends to have more eyes on it.

You're fine using LibreWolf, in my opinion.

I stand corrected about LW not getting frequent updates.

Because I'm using version 87.0, I was looking up how to make sure it's the current version, but I'm finding vague results on DDG. They do have a GitLab page, but I'm not fluent in using these git sites because I'm not technical oriented. Any help?

@SpongebobFan1994
Looks like the gitlab code repo page is just a bunch of script to actually build one of the support distributions or formats. They do have a gitlab releases page for AppImages if you want to use that otherwise you can use it as a Flatpak.

@SpongebobFan1994
Looks like the gitlab code repo page is just a bunch of script to actually build one of the support distributions or formats. They do have a gitlab releases page for AppImages if you want to use that otherwise you can use it as a Flatpak.

Because I've downloaded it as an appimage before, I've never had it alert me about new updates (which would be helpful). Being that it looks like I have to download the newest version (as opposed to updating to it), would I have to transfer my bookmarks over to it?

I just downloaded LibreWolf 93.0 appimage seems to work OK

1635627737600.png

Staff online

Members online