WICD Networking Problem

davidd

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am a newbie to linux and I was given an acer aspire 5000 lap top with debian linux installed. When I open the wicd networking program it is not showing me any wireless networks. So I did my newbie research to try to figure it out and ran the command iwconfig and the output said there are "no wireless extentsions" Again i'm a total newbie and am just beginning to learn the command line. i was wondering if someone could help me set up my wireless network. So the issue is that no wireless networks are appearing on my wicd network manager and when I ran iwconfig it said that there are no wirelesss extentions. Is this a hardware issue because the lap top is old.

you should have a connections symbol somewhere in the taskbar [where depends on what desktop you are using] left click select network connections, if it has wi-fi built in then you should get a list of all networks close by, find and select yours put in the router password, and it should lock on.
if not, check you have the correct wi-fi drivers installed

How do I identify which specific wifi drivers I require? The wicd network manager is not showing me any networks and wifi is switched on.

first is to find out which WI-FI chip you have, so open a terminal and put in inxi -Nn and enter if you can copy and paste the full result back here
you may need to install inxi from the repository

inxi -Nn command not found

I need to install inxi.

and I dont have the sudo command installed either.

try opening the software manager and using inxi in the search box

OK installed sudo and inxi with a wired connection to this laptop that I am working on installng wifi wireless drivers. here is the output of inxi command

root@laptop:~# inxi -Nn
Network: Device-1: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet driver: sis900
IF: enp0s4 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:c0:9f:dd:a3:fd
Device-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN driver: b43-pci-bridge
IF-ID-1: tun9 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
IF-ID-2: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:14:a4:3a:6d:28

are you running Debian in a VM/VB?

Another thought, as its a laptop you may have a hard block on [often called flight mode] on an acer you usually have a separate Wi-fi switch [symbol looks a bit like a satellite dish] try switching it on, if this dosnt work try keys FN+F3

Im connected through my wired connection but unable to get wifi networks.

Your inxi shows Device 2 Broadcom has driver installed, it also shows it as down, this would normally mean it has a hard block
unless your Debian is installed in a VM/VB inside another operating system.

I am going to assume your Debian is installed direct to hard drive [this will not work for VM/VB installations]
open terminal put in
sudo dhclient wlp3s0
password and enter

root@laptop:~# sudo dhclient wlp3s0
Cannot find device "wlp3s0"

another thing thats weird is a i can log in to root using the su - command yet if i try to log in as root using sudo it gives me authentication failure.

Yes debian is installed direct to hard drive is not running in another OS.

Last edited:
That's great news @davidd and welcome to linux.org :)

You could go to your first Post #1 and above it it has Jump to new, Watch and 3 dots click the down arrow on the three dots. Edit thread to include [SOLVED] at the beginning of your Thread subject line.

2. If you can tell us what your brother did that would be cool.

Cannot find device "wlp3s0"
... is because your inxi ouput has it identified as

wlan0

not

wlp3s0

So, wlan0 for your wifi and enp0s4 for your Ethernet (wired) are worth taking a note of.

4. If you are having problems with sudo, it is likely you need to add your username to the sudo group and add the privileges that attach to that. Start a separate Thread in the Command Line subforum, with a title like "Need To add My Username to sudo in Debian" and someone will be along.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

hello brother here,

first thing i ran rfkill then i saw software unblocked and hardware blocked so i looked for the hardware button. I found satellite icon on the front of the laptop with a button, pushed button once. Ran rfkill again saw software blocked and hardware unblocked. sudo rfkill unblock all . then rebooted. checked grub menu , pressed edit. found many entries on the end of the kernel line that said rfkill disable rfkill super enable wtv.... removed all that . booted into system. sudo ifup wlan0 . complete

brother

Thank your brother for us for sharing that :)

He is a good bro'

Wizard

Members online