Wifi and Linux

jef s

Credits
Hello Everyone, I,m Nearly New to Linux, I hav'nt quite Fully Switched Yet from Windows.

Linux Looks like a wonderful Operating sytem and would love to use it all the time.
Just Wondering Why Wifi is so hard to setup, This is the only reason why i hav'nt Fully Switched Over yet.
Or Maybe Someone could Point me in the right Direction, I would love to say that i only run Linux but Sadly not

I have a Alternative Linux program/app for every other one of my Windows Progs but its just the Wifi or Lack of it that holds me back
I do use a Wired Connection but it would be helpful have Wifi

Heres Hoping, Jef

dos2unix

Credits
Many people (including myself) use wifi on Linux everyday.
Having said that. It's not always as easy as doing it "the windows way".

A lot of it depends on two things.
1. Which distro of Linux do you want to use?
2. Which wifi card do you have in your computer?
(As a rule Intel based wifi chipsets seem to be the most compatible).

jef s

Credits
Many people (including myself) use wifi on Linux everyday.
Having said that. It's not always as easy as doing it "the windows way".

A lot of it depends on two things.
1. Which distro of Linux do you want to use?
2. Which wifi card do you have in your computer?
(As a rule Intel based wifi chipsets seem to be the most compatible).
i,m using linux mint 19.2 cinnamon
i have a atheros wifi i think ?

dos2unix

Credits
I would think you should be fine. I have a fedora box running with an atheros 9k chip.
What many people do, is try booting from a "live" USB or DVD version of the distro they want
to use. Then just connect to your local wifi the way you normally would. 95% of the
time, it really is that easy.

Last edited:

alkion

Credits
A desktop computer or laptop. Built-in or USB card?
These commands in the terminal as root :
Code:
lspci -k
Code:
lsusb
Code:
ip a
Code:
rfkill list all

Last edited:

jef s

Credits
i have a atheros ar5b95 (ar9285 chipset) Wifi Built-in, on a Acer one mini Laptop.

What do these commands tell me ?

alkion

Credits
See if it goes to Mint:
Code:
apt-get update
Code:
apt-get upgrade
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
Code:
apt-get install firmware-atheros
What do these commands tell me ?
The commands show what equipment you have and how it works.

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Credits
I think this thread could be useful leading to a mini tutorial 0n addressing wifi Linux. Hopefully some admins might join in. I just installed Slackware 14.2 on a new Hp laptop : description: Notebook
product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU)
vendor: HP
version: Chassis Version
serial: 5CG9325GD1
width: 4294967295 bits
capabilities: smbios-3.0 dmi-3.0 smp vsyscall32
configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook family=103C_5335KV HP Notebook sku=6ZJ47EA#ABU uuid=26EEBF7B-D673-1D44-B142-AB458CCCA669

Knoppix live can use the inbuilt Network card and a USB wifi adapter can also get me connected to wifi. I've used slackware for a while never had Network problems before, thus on this i'm pretty much a newbie. To me a logical approach might be :
Gather general info on laptop and hardware, which can be used as an initial G/ duckduck search. Try and find which module is needed to use network card, does kernel have it ? If not how do i go and get one, compile and insert into kernel .If kernel has necessary module how do i load it ? i've started with "lshw" which trells me :
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: Intel Corporation

so basically network card is there, knoppix an use it , but slackware 14.2 64 bit can't might be kernel is old and doesn't have modules to us it.

alkion

Credits
Mint 19.2 as there is no wifi:
Code:
 apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git
Code:
git clone https://github.com/benjarobin/MT7630E.git
Code:
cd MT7630E/rt2x00
Code:
make
Code:
 make install
Code:
modprobe mt7630e

Last edited:

Jeremyb

Credits
I think this thread could be useful leading to a mini tutorial 0n addressing wifi Linux. Hopefully some admins might join in. I just installed Slackware 14.2 on a new Hp laptop : description: Notebook
product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU)
vendor: HP
version: Chassis Version
serial: 5CG9325GD1
width: 4294967295 bits
capabilities: smbios-3.0 dmi-3.0 smp vsyscall32
configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook family=103C_5335KV HP Notebook sku=6ZJ47EA#ABU uuid=26EEBF7B-D673-1D44-B142-AB458CCCA669

Knoppix live can use the inbuilt Network card and a USB wifi adapter can also get me connected to wifi. I've used slackware for a while never had Network problems before, thus on this i'm pretty much a newbie. To me a logical approach might be :
Gather general info on laptop and hardware, which can be used as an initial G/ duckduck search. Try and find which module is needed to use network card, does kernel have it ? If not how do i go and get one, compile and insert into kernel .If kernel has necessary module how do i load it ? i've started with "lshw" which trells me :
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: Intel Corporation

so basically network card is there, knoppix an use it , but slackware 14.2 64 bit can't might be kernel is old and doesn't have modules to us it.
You may need a much newer kernel and firmware for that device to work

captain-sensible

Credits
i've done some delving and used lateral thinking i simply booted current 64 bit live from a USB stick ; i using it now its found and using internal network card lspci from live current gives
Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10) So since live works i have the choice to stick with 14.2 stable or re-install upgrade to current

Members online

Latest posts