WIFI, easy question for the right guru.

kjomara

Reaction score
Credits
I am running Mint 20. When I originally installed it I was running a USB wifi adapter. I have since switched to an Ethernet connection and removed the wifi adapter. Now, whenever I start my browser after it has timed out, it spends 30 seconds looking for the wifi adapter and will finally find the ethernet connection and start up. I have made sure to remove all wifi options from the bios and the "edit connections" in the control panel. I'm getting ready to reinstall mint just to cure this problem. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that I am missing. If I only knew where it was. Thank you

Hmm.. This will disable wifi from the terminal:

Code:
sudo rfkill block wifi

Note: I'm not sure what's causing those symptoms you're having, so the above is what I think will likely stop the system looking for wifi when you don't want to use it.

To undo it, change it to 'unblock'.

When I leave my computer alone for 30 minutes or so the Linux logs me out and I am required to sign on again with my password. After I sign back on, and select my email (for example), it hesitates displaying a wifi symbol at the bottom. After about 30 seconds an ethernet connection symbol appears and it connects finally.

Hmm.. This will disable wifi from the terminal:

Code:
sudo rfkill block wifi

Note: I'm not sure what's causing those symptoms you're having, so the above is what I think will likely stop the system looking for wifi when you don't want to use it.

To undo it, change it to 'unblock'.
I tried this to no avail. Thank you

Is there anything in your startup applications that starts the wifi service/driver ?

click in menu, type in Startup Applications.......check for anyhting there.....take a screenshot and post it here if you are unsure.

When you start the pc from cold (turned off) does it take its time booting up ?......is it as long and drawn out as when Linux logs off, and then you sign back in again ?

I am beginning to think this may have nothing to do with wifi.

click on menu, type in Power Management

Tell me what you see there

Is there anything in your startup applications that starts the wifi service/driver ?

click in menu, type in Startup Applications.......check for anyhting there.....take a screenshot and post it here if you are unsure.

When you start the pc from cold (turned off) does it take its time booting up ?......is it as long and drawn out as when Linux logs off, and then you sign back in again ?
Nothing unusual in the start uo, and it boots and shuts down rather quickly. Right now I have a Ethernet connection symbol in the lower right of the screen. If I walk away and come back in 30 minutes, The screen will be dark from the power settings. When I log back on there will be a wifi symbol in the lower right.

I am beginning to think this may have nothing to do with wifi.

click on menu, type in Power Management

Tell me what you see there
Power Management choices are set to "30 minutes", "30 minutes" and "dim display when idle" Under General "always display an icon" is selected

Well, you have quite the conundrum!

There are probably many other things you have tried, so it probably senseless me wafting through the endless possibilities.

Just out of interest, if you set the power settings to never turn off and not to dim etc etc......and then click on menu and choose to log off......then choose to log back on within a few minutes.....what is the result ?

You have not done anything with hibernation ?

I am certain it is a result of something linux installed to support the USB wifi adapter I had installed. Now that the wifi adapter is gone it still looks for it. It is without a doubt a wifi driver that doesn't have enough sense to go away now that wifi doesn't exist on this puter anymore. I'll just redo the install, that only takes about an hour or so and I'm sure that will take care of it. I just thought it was something simple. Apparently not. Thank you for all your efforts.

Let us know how the reinstall works out

Staff online