Wifi printer connection Problems.

ImOverThere

Reaction score
Credits
Alright, I have found a hiccup. Not a major one but an annoyance at the most. I have a Wi-Fi printer made by Brother. I can pull it up in the select your printer but once I try to connect to it, It kicks back and says connection failed cant find connection point. Not sure if I missed something? Or if its just something is a little hinky with my laptop or the os? I didn't find a thread on it so i'm guessing i'm the first to have this problem?

For future reference, HP printers are the most Linux-friendly. But to try to help with the Brother, we'll need to know what model it is. It may work, but it may not.

[EDIT] Here's a couple of sites with instructions on installing a Brother printer. Read through both of them and see if you can follow along to get your printer going. Even though one site is for Linux Mint, the instructions are likely to work the same for Ubuntu (because Mint is made from Ubuntu).

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

http://ask.xmodulo.com/install-brother-printer-linux.html

Last edited:
I will read through them and see if I can't get one of the options to work. In the meantime I have a Brother mfc-j870dw.

Just to add a little on what @atanere has said above

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, kicks aside a bionic beaver, thinking it is a rug)

You may want to make the acquaintance of the Synaptic Package Manager (aka Synaptic). You can get it at Terminal with

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install synaptic

On opening Synaptic (type it in in Activities, and add it to your Favourites), you can search for brother and see something similar to the following screenshot from my Beaver.

Bb9Glwa.png

SCREENSHOT - BROTHER REFERENCES IN SYNAPTIC

Obviously not for your printer, but if you follow the leads above to download yours from their website (choosing the .deb, doubleclicking the downloaded file and following the prompts), the packages will then appear in Synaptic.

To install from Synaptic simply check the box, or right-click highlighted line and mark for install, then click the Apply icon.

You could also use Synaptic to check on gcc etc in your other threads.

Before I go, if you have not already done so, enable your firewall:

Code:
sudo ufw enable

And

Happy Birthday, hope the go-karting went well :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts