Will installing Manjaro on my SSD and installing Parrot OS Home on my Optane H10 cause any conflicting issues?

BoringZombie

Reaction score
Credits
So I've been having some trouble on Parrot OS Home on my Lenovo Yoga C740 IdeaPad with the sound driver, but I have got it to work on Parrot OS Home from doing some research. Knowing that I do want top use Parrot still but now not as my main Linux Distro with some of the issues I face with my laptop model, as it seems that Manjaro is one of the Distros that that is a bit friendlier to my laptop model.

I was thinking of loading Parrot on my 32gb Optane H10 in my laptop to have that more for when I go out in public or somewhere where I may need to use Anonsurf which is why I like Parrot. I use it as my main on two of my other computers and they work well with Parrot.

I encrypt all of my drives on my computers using LUKS with the same passphrase a pretty long and a confusing one to keep some consistency. Anyways I wasn't sure if two different Distros on one laptop using LUKS with same passphrase also would cause any issues with the system as well.

Everything right now on my laptop is formatted and wiped clean, and bios is configured properly for Linux.

It should be fine. The bootloader should pick it up automatically.

I did see one thing that concerns me. You are reusing the same passphrase. That's a very bad idea. No matter how strong it is, if one is discovered then any of the devices are compromised. You shouldn't even use a 'system', because if your password is 'mycomplexpassworddell' then I'm gonna be able to guess when it's 'mycomplexpasswordhp'.

Here's just a random link from a search result about password reuse.

It should be fine. The bootloader should pick it up automatically.

I did see one thing that concerns me. You are reusing the same passphrase. That's a very bad idea. No matter how strong it is, if one is discovered then any of the devices are compromised. You shouldn't even use a 'system', because if your password is 'mycomplexpassworddell' then I'm gonna be able to guess when it's 'mycomplexpasswordhp'.

Here's just a random link from a search result about password reuse.

Thanks for your reply. I get what you're saying. None of my online account passwords are the same though. None of my passwords would really be in the dictionary, long full of letters, numbers, special characters and written in a URL style. Don't use real words or special characters in words. But I know nothing isn't truly secure. I may use bios password also for extra protection.

If you're familiar with the 'evil maid' concept in security, a BIOS password is a weak hurdle to cross. Simply pop the CMOS battery off the motherboard, maybe hit the power button to ensure all voltage is drained, and toss the battery back in. Tada! No more password!

But, of course - and as you said, nothing is truly secure.

The only secure computer is one that's buried in 25' of concrete - and broken. Everything else is just a matter of degrees of security. There's a spectrum of security that blends secure and usability.

Anyhow, back to the original question...

Everything should work. I see no reason why it won't. I'm not 100% sure how well Linux works with Optane and 32 GB is not a lot of space (but plenty if you're not storing much). Assuming the installer sees the Optane drive, everything should go just fine. It should even notice the 2nd OS and adjust GRUB accordingly, like most other dual installs.

We have one guy, an admin and fellow mod, that 'dual boots' like 70 something versions of Linux. So, even if it doesn't work automatically, someone here has the skills to get you running.

Great to know, I'll give it a try thank you. I did some research last night with Linux installation on Optane drives and it seems to work. I know on Parrot and Manjaro when I tried them just on my SSD it detected my Optane drive and the partition manager in KDE detected it even when I had it unallocated.

Then you should be all set. I recall some early-on issues with Optane (people posting in support forums) which is why I wasn't sure if it had been resolved.

Do let us know how it turns out and we're here if you get stuck.

Then you should be all set. I recall some early-on issues with Optane (people posting in support forums) which is why I wasn't sure if it had been resolved.

Do let us know how it turns out and we're here if you get stuck.
Thank you.

Members online