Will linux.org be joining the metaverse???

Yeah there are those with no vision. The BGIC of the patent office in 1899, "Everything that can be invented has been invented"

Speaking of DEC "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olsen

I am just now starting a project GPARTED. To add MX 21 to my drive alongside MX 19, as you cannot just upgrade. Was just perusing a Dolphin vid on install he had MX set to what he needed, on an HP that was about to die. His statement was, "We Linux people use computers until they die."

PC's, cars, guns, hammers...etc. Tools that see improvements are never done in some small way. It can be safer, more stable, reliable...etc. But there is always the next mind and the next tinkerer. Same design better materials....I make great Chili, but there can always be something you didn't think to add. Without HS Internet, the whole shut downs would never have happened. Now companies are keeping empty real estate empty. A tech company I have done work with for years now has a tiny office. A conference room and a few offices to meet clients. Used to take me all day to change locks. Now less than 1 hour.

DEC is one of those companies that dropped the ball. We, my company, started off with a whole lot of their kit. We were eventually a Sun shop, more than anything else. They too are now largely a name lost to history.

That said, the constantly changing landscape is one of the reasons I enjoy tech. The things I have at my fingertips today is greater than entire countries had available not all that long ago.

'The only winning move is not to play."

For a while, I was loaned a Cray "personal computer". It was like 3.5' high, 1.5' wide, and 4' deep. Sadly, the name of the model was lost to me, perhaps in a drunken brawl, and I've never been able to find a picture of it.

I got to play with all sorts of stuff. While in school, my research was mostly sponsored by DEC. I had pretty much zero funding from the school itself as they didn't think it'd be a worthwhile venture.
I didn't know that Cray make "personal computers", only Super Computers that cost big bucks !!!

They've made a few (?) along the way. This was some venture in the 80s that was just a trial, as memory serves. They'd at least try again a couple of decades later, sometime in the late 20s as memory serves.

Members online