Will Starlink and international ISPs give their logs to local governments - regimes?

digitard

Reaction score
Credits
It's not that I trust foreign ISPs more than the local, I just think that if our logs are stored far enough they will not affect our lives, since who cares for people in the other side of the world. You see, equipping the third world with your surveillance tools it's like giveing warheads to chimpanzees to play. It's your fault first world, and you now have to provide internet since you have messed up.

Last edited:

It's not that I trust foreign ISPs more than the local, I just think that if our logs are stored far enough they will not affect our lives, since who cares for people in the other side of the world. You see, equipping the third world with your surveillance tools it's like giveing warheads to chimpanzees to play. It's your fault first world, and you now have to provide internet since you have messed up.
Did you just call yourself a "first world citizen"? I thought, being the 21st century, people had passed that point, but guess some hadn't.

No, I did not... perhaps the way I put english together it's confusing, not my native language, I hope you appreciate that.

Funny, I'm not much better in my native language

Last edited:
Depending on the local law per country an ISP would be required to give logs under certain conditions and what those conditions are will differ per country since the laws per country differ.

I'm not talking about laws. The law is clear, you can't look at our logs unless we are charged and the prosecutor demands our logs in the court in plain sight. This is not what i'm talking about. What's happening is some guy casually looking at our logs. All I ask is an international ISP to say ''Do you have order by a prosecutor to see those logs?'' basically what the law say

Last edited:
I don't think any ISP that wants to stay alive will let any any person just randomly go through their logs. Which internation ISP's are you talking about, I only know local ones from my country none of them are international unless you count the other ISP's which they might be partnered with.

This is what I wonder, Starlink and other two-way satellite providers that currently provide services they keep logs abroad... how can be the users locally monitored? Unless they hand the logs to local agencies around the world, crazy

Last edited:
This is the norm in the third world, and it's not fandom random, people are flagged and this happens everafter ever after

Last edited:
This is the norm here in the third world, and it's not fandom, people are flagged and this happens everafter
"fandom"? Did you mean random? It's ever after. Theoretically and hypothetically speaking, anyone and no one should be able to see those logs; techniques exist that allow any capable hacker to do that. However, like f33dm3bits points out, it would be for ISP(Internet Service Provider?) companies in their best interests to keep them as safe/secured as possible, making it really hard for anyone to be able to access them. Also, this isn't a "Third World" problem(I don't believe in such archaic concepts by the way; there's only one world!) but rather something that might just happen anywhere;
An example of this is Lavabit – a secure email service created by Ladar Levison. The FBI requested Snowden's records after finding out that he used the service. Since Lavabit did not keep logs and email content was stored encrypted, the FBI served a subpoena (with a gag order) for the service's SSL keys. Having the SSL keys would allow them to access communications (both metadata and unencrypted content) in real time for all of Lavabit's customers, not just Snowden's.

Ultimately, Levison turned over the SSL keys and shut down the service at the same time. The US government then threatened Levison with arrest, saying that shutting down the service was a violation of the court order.
As long as some/any powerful entity/government/individuals have the "liberty" to request whatever information they may need, then these logs are "thin-skinned", sadly, I don't think there's much we can do about it. :(

Yes ''random'' I wanted to write and ISP = internet provider.

I just investigating if there are any perks of being from a country that is not a powerful entity. The net worth of the guy that owns starlink it's higher then this country, and this is the case for many other countries. I can't see a way to be forced to do illegal actions against human rights (handing logs without order by a prosecutor) and also operating under the US laws. Unless there is some kind of ''off the record'' international agreement to compromise human rights for the common good and stuff. If this is the case I will start looking at conspiracy theories differently. I really want to learn about this matter.

EDIT
Such an interesting story of Levison, there is no way such a story to go public here, or any business to keep up to its word as Levison did. Such situation it's an impossibility and we will never hear about it in the first place. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Members online