Window tiling manager in desktop environments?

Nievski

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

On macOS, I use an app called Tiles to re-arrange windows on-the-fly with fast keyboard shortcuts. What is this feature called in Linux and where would I normally enable this? Most of my searches end up with dedicated window managers, but I'm looking for this feature in a desktop environment.

Is there a particular desktop environment that is known for this?

Examples: I'd like to manually arrange windows (with keyboard) to occupy the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 or 2/3 of the screen. Also send windows to different sides / corners of the screen and finally center if needed.

Last edited:

Desktop environments like Gnome, KDE and Enlightenment are traditional desktops which have some very basic tiling functionality built in. Allowing you to tile applications to the left and the right etc.

Or there are numerous, dedicated, tiling window managers like dwm, i3, wmii, awesome, ratpoison, Xmonad, bspwm, herbsluftwm, Sway (for Wayland), spectrwm, JWM, Qtile, etc etc.. The list goes on.

The arch wiki has a comparison of a bunch of tiling window managers here:

Most tiling window managers just automatically deal with tiling application windows though. Some of them support several different layouts, so you can switch between different layouts/styles with a simple keybind.
And there are simple ways of getting the kind of four-pane layout you want.

i3 and awesome are particularly good. They have a lot of extra features.
Personally though, I prefer dwm. Which is extremely minimalist and literally just deals with tiling windows, it works with multi-monitor setups and can be controlled entirely by the keyboard. Which is all I want it to do. No fancy, flashy extras! It does work with the mouse too. But when I have the ability to do it all from the keyboard, why would I bother with the mouse?! Ha ha!

Last edited:
The best windows tiling i have seen is in Pop_OS. But you can only install it on gnome based environment. It works with Gnome shell 3.38 and above. It automatically resize and repositions new windows in a nice way. If you want to try or install that, you should search for pop os shell.

Members online