Windows 10 was really the culprit of USB Mics having low volume

wharjack

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I recently installed a Win 7 on my laptop and I learned that USB Mics were crappy in Win 8 and above because Microsoft didn't fix the USB Audio Driver. Now, when I investigated in Win 7 plugging in my Samson C01U Pro and indeed -- it's true that Windows 10 is making my USB Mic crappy.

In Win 7, I can go to 40-50 Volume with low noise floor and very decent recording while in Win 10 I need to go to Volume 80-90 to have decent recording but the room noise will is high

Here's the proof:

Windows 7 automatically installs a Generic Audio Driver
1666443084462.png

And here, It's another driver in Win 10

1666443143529.png

We need to have a Generic Audio for our Win 10 to have a decent low volume recording!

So does anyone have the same issue on Linux? Do you need to have a high volume to have a decent recording for your USB Mic? I'm really confused now whether to record on my win 7 laptop or install linux in my Windows 10 laptop.

My mic isn't USB (it's a normal pink audio jack, attached to headphones), so IDK if it would be any different with a USB microphone but no - so far (in the last 7 years with linux) never had a single problem with microphone levels. If anything, the mics often capture things they shouldn't have. :D

Anyway, thank you for the input. There's a difference between USB Mic and Mic in an Audio Interface. I think Audio Interface has better driver than USB Mics

Hi, I recently installed a Win 7 on my laptop and I learned that USB Mics were crappy in Win 8 and above because Microsoft didn't fix the USB Audio Driver. Now, when I investigated in Win 7 plugging in my Samson C01U Pro and indeed -- it's true that Windows 10 is making my USB Mic crappy.

Maybe you should ask that on the windwoes Forum down the road.
m1110.gif

Maybe you should ask that on the windwoes Forum down the road.
m1110.gif
So many people asked Microsoft to fix the Windows 10 Driver issue with USB Mics, but guess what? Microsoft just gaslighted USB Microphones users. If you search USB Mics Fix on YouTube, you'll see so many people ranting and having problems about their USB Mics -- that it is broken, crappy, low volume -- but in reality, it's Microsoft's driver issue. I feel sorry for USB Microphone, and it's manufacturer because they are the one who got the blame.

Even Audio Technica said that they can't fix it even because it wasn't the USB Mic's driver.

So many people asked Microsoft to fix the Windows 10 Driver issue with USB Mics, but guess what? Microsoft just gaslighted USB Microphones users.

Well maybe the people crying should switch to Linux.
m1201.gif

I would wonder about the wisdom of installing Windows 7 on anything, given its EOL was nearly 3 years ago, January 14 2020.

Wizard

So does anyone have the same issue on Linux? Do you need to have a high volume to have a decent recording for your USB Mic? I'm really confused now whether to record on my win 7 laptop or install linux in my Windows 10 laptop.
No problems at all. Both USB Microphones and USB Audio Interfaces work like charms for me and to the extent of my experience.

If you want to clear your doubts, download an image bootable as ISO and try your microphones before installing. I may try this myself later, but I bet the live ISO images come with all USB drivers you'd need.

I would wonder about the wisdom of installing Windows 7 on anything, given its EOL was nearly 3 years ago, January 14 2020.

Wizard
It's quite a hassle to really install Windows 7 from a laptop that comes with Windows 8 and can be updated to Windows 10. I'm just lucky that I found working drivers.

No problems at all. Both USB Microphones and USB Audio Interfaces work like charms for me and to the extent of my experience.

If you want to clear your doubts, download an image bootable as ISO and try your microphones before installing. I may try this myself later, but I bet the live ISO images come with all USB drivers you'd need.
Thank you! I'm going to install Linux soon, but I'm stucked on what distro I will choose

Thank you! I'm going to install Linux soon, but I'm stucked on what distro I will choose
In your other thread I suggested Debian, Fedora or Manjaro as they are three that did not present any issues for me.

Just boot them live and see which one makes you a better home before installing. If you want near-latest versions of all apps, Fedora is your go. If you want better stability but boring/older versions, then Debian.

Staff online

Members online