Windows 11 wants me to associate all my file types one by one

ShinyMetapod

Reaction score
Credits
Hello community, I'm new here. I was about to post this on Reddit but it won't allow me because I don't have enough karma points lol fts
hope you don't hate me for such a thread title :p

Sooo... Yesterday I got fed up with Windows 11 annoyances and decided to give GNU/Linux a try. I have used it few times in the past but never lasted for too long I think I used Manjaro for 3 or 4 months around 2 o 3 years ago, but now Windows just keeps getting ridiculously tedious to live with to an extent I can't bare it any longer. After checking out several distros in VirtualBox I was undecided between Ubuntu and Zorin. I chose ZorinOS 16 and installed it in a virtual disk. This is what I ended up with:

zorin.png

I'm pretty impressed by the result, ZorinOS is what I was looking for, I just wanted a distro that could give me a similar desktop experience of what my Windows 10 and 11 have been. I haven't check out my Steam library but I think most of the games will work, however I'm planning to install it along side Windows 11 just in case.

I also went a bit further and decided to install some software which I usually use on a daily basis and could install them all.

The only thing I'm missing is a local password manager that can store the payment methods I use on Firefox (I installed ungoogled chromium because it supports saving credit cards whereas Firefox isn't support here where I live yet). For all my passwords and credit cards I use Avast Passwords in Windows. I tried KeePassXC but it has no option to add credit cards.

Oh and also, can anyone recommend me some encryption tool? I don't want to use LUKS because sometimes I need to access my PC from the internet and it may be turned off. I tried VeraCrypt but perhaps some of you know something else. I just need to encrypt some Folders, a right click "encrypt" and double click that promps for password to decrypt from the file manager would be ok.

Another thing I want to ask is if is there any similar alternative way to clone your OS like in Windows? I make regular backups of my Windows system partitions (boot and C:) using third party software (EaseUS Todo Backup). All I want is to be able to restore my actual Linux installment as it is right now with all the packages and configs in case my disk dies or if I F up something (yeah now I remember why I didn't last that much using GNU Linux, I always ended up destroying my xorg configs lol).

something that cracked me up is that if you search for CMD it will show you the Terminal instead :cool:

Have a look (and give it a try) to timeshift. I used it to create differential snapshots of my system every day to roll back changes.

That was until I updated to Fedora 35, with which is (still) not compatible, haha.

For imaging the whole system at once, I´d recommend you to reboot using a live memory stick with another linux installation, and use the Disks management tool usually included. Here's a window capture from the Gnome one (present in a Fedora System, live or not):

Screenshot from 2021-11-26 14-00-45.png

With that tool you should(*) be able to create an image of your data partitions on to another external drive (big enough), and restore them and their mount points in case of need.

(*): I have never had the need for it, so I can't speak from own experience or practice.

I didn't know windwoes spyware 11 was even out, who cares. once you get in to Linux,windwoes is just a bad dream.
happy0039.gif

A very good backup tool for Linux is Foxclone https://www.foxclone.com/
Just download the ISO and burn it to a Flash Drive...simple. It come with full instructions which are very easy to follow and speaking of easy...have you tried Linux Mint, it's great.
happy0034.gif

Have a look (and give it a try) to timeshift. I used it to create differential snapshots of my system every day to roll back changes.

That was until I updated to Fedora 35, with which is (still) not compatible, haha.

For imaging the whole system at once, I´d recommend you to reboot using a live memory stick with another linux installation, and use the Disks management tool usually included. Here's a window capture from the Gnome one (present in a Fedora System, live or not):

View attachment 10926

With that tool you should(*) be able to create an image of your data partitions on to another external drive (big enough), and restore them and their mount points in case of need.

(*): I have never had the need for it, so I can't speak from own experience or practice.
Thanks but I tried it and didn't work, apparently it was missing the partition tables. However, I just learnt to use Clonezilla for doing exactly what I need, I just finished testing a migration and it worked like intended. It's amazing to see it compressed my ~30GB system down to 7GB!

I didn't know windwoes spyware 11 was even out, who cares. once you get in to Linux,windwoes is just a bad dream.
happy0039.gif

A very good backup tool for Linux is Foxclone https://www.foxclone.com/
Just download the ISO and burn it to a Flash Drive...simple. It come with full instructions which are very easy to follow and speaking of easy...have you tried Linux Mint, it's great.
happy0034.gif
Thanks, will give Foxclone a try too.
EDIT: I just tried it, it seems a good alternative too but it doesn't allow you to save to a shared folder, I need to plug in an external usb device or another disc and clone directly into it.

The only thing I'm missing is a local password manager that can store the payment methods
Don't know if any of these have that specific feature you need, since I don't use it(I store all my info regarding money on paper)but maybe one or a few of them do, so just check the list and see if you find the one you're looking for. :)
EDIT: This one called my attentions because
is an offline password manager that securely stores and syncs your sensitive data locally on your MYKI-enabled devices.
https://myki.com/app/ Oh, and there's an AppImage version for Linux. :)
1637980722808.png

EDIT2: Just tried it, and it asked to create an account by sending a text message to your phone, so yeah, you have to give your phone number away. I pass, it looks nice tho, and if you don't care about the whole account-phone thing, it might just work for you. I'll keep using keepassxc, which woks fine, the one thing that's never worked for me, it's the "one-click" autofill feature, other than that ...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts