Wine "does not run

Sparro0w

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody.

I installed Wine 6.01 directly from the winehq website.

I installed the correct version for Linix Mint 20.x - My version is Linux Mint 20.1

The problem is that I've already restarted the pc after installation and I can't open wine, not even the interface to configure wine appears on my linux desktop.

can anybody help me?

NOTE:

"I was running games on proton inside steam..." I can't use Lutris without wine.

Please help me! Thanks.

I can't open wine
Wine is not a program to "open" like other apps. The normal usage (in my experience) is that you right-click on a Windows file (usually an "exe" or "msi" installer)... and you choose "Install with Wine program loader". Or something like that.

There is a configuration utility... run winecfg from a terminal. I don't think I've ever had any need to use that though. If you need to uninstall a program from Wine, open a terminal and give the command wine uninstaller. (There's also wine64 uninstaller for 64-bit apps.) Here's another Wine utility: open a terminal and give the command wine control. I've never used that either. More info on these can be found at this link or with Google.

Last edited:
I installed Wine 6.01 directly from the winehq website.

I installed the correct version for Linix Mint 20.x - My version is Linux Mint 20.1
Just following up... many people miss some of the WineHQ install instructions. You really have to pay attention and start at the top of the page.

1. Install FAudio for both i386 and amd64. (Search for these with Synaptic Package Manager.)
2. Add i386 architecture.
3. Then download and add the repository key. It seems like a lot of people miss Steps 1 and 2.
4. Add the proper repository for Linux Mint 20.x
5. Install the Stable branch. (I recommend Stable unless your games require Development.)

Hopefully you got all these steps and Wine will work well for your gaming needs. :)

Just following up... many people miss some of the WineHQ install instructions. You really have to pay attention and start at the top of the page.

1. Install FAudio for both i386 and amd64. (Search for these with Synaptic Package Manager.)
2. Add i386 architecture.
3. Then download and add the repository key. It seems like a lot of people miss Steps 1 and 2.
4. Add the proper repository for Linux Mint 20.x
5. Install the Stable branch. (I recommend Stable unless your games require Development.)

Hopefully you got all these steps and Wine will work well for your gaming needs. :)

Hello Stan -

Oops, I've been reading the Winehq page again... as incredible as it may seem, even some explanations containing bold letters I refuse to accept that I didn't pay attention to it....

I tried to install through the application manager, but I thought "I want to learn Linux, I want to learn Terminal" - And I chose to install using the terminal....

I went straight to the calls and forgot the main "Read the instructions"

Thanks again Stan...

I'm trying to find libfaaudio0 for amd64 and i386.

Captura de tela de 2021-06-10 21-27-51.png

I found these two packages on Synaptic. Are both for amd64 and i386 version?

Wine is tricky, and their instructions could be more clear. :(

I'm not using Mint, and my Ubuntu-based distro is older, but Synaptic shows me these below, but yours seem to be different. The libfaudio0 is probably right, the amd64 version, but they are not offering you the i386 version too. I wouldn't get the -dev version though.

faudio.png

Let's start at the top of the WineHQ page again. The first instruction (with red triangle) doesn't apply to you, so that's easy. Following the 2nd instruction (with red triangle) gives a link, and looking at that gives us some details. Looking down that page a bit, I find this:
The quickest and easiest way to satisfy the new dependency is to download and install both the i386 and amd64 libfaudio0 packages before attempting to upgrade or install a WineHQ package.

I don't know if this will be an issue because I'm not a Wine expert, but this is saying you should install these files BEFORE you install Wine. Being the tricky program it is, this may be important, and you may need to uninstall Wine and really start over.

Let me pause here and see if that's what you want to do? If you have games (or other stuff) already installed with Wine, you would have to go back an reinstall them too.

You could try to install these files now.... maybe it would work. I just don't know. But since I'm unsure about those you found with Synaptic, the link we followed above can provide the files and you can download from there. We can do that now, or we can do that after you remove Wine, if you decide to do that. Let me know which way you want to go.

Once you download those files and install them, this really isn't that bad of a process. It's just a shame that Wine didn't detail this more clearly.

Last edited:
Wine is tricky, and their instructions could be more clear. :(

I'm not using Mint, and my Ubuntu-based distro is older, but Synaptic shows me these below, but yours seem to be different. The libfaudio0 is probably right, the amd64 version, but they are not offering you the i386 version too. I wouldn't get the -dev version though.

View attachment 9505

Let's start at the top of the WineHQ page again. The first instruction (with red triangle) doesn't apply to you, so that's easy. Following the 2nd instruction (with red triangle) gives a link, and looking at that gives us some details. Looking down that page a bit, I find this:

I don't know if this will be an issue because I'm not a Wine expert, but this is saying you should install these files BEFORE you install Wine. Being the tricky program it is, this may be important, and you may need to uninstall Wine and really start over.

Let me pause here and see if that's what you want to do? If you have games (or other stuff) already installed with Wine, you would have to go back an reinstall them too.

You could try to install these files now.... maybe it would work. I just don't know. But since I'm unsure about those you found with Synaptic, the link we followed above can provide the files and you can download from there. We can do that now, or we can do that after you remove Wine, if you decide to do that. Let me know which way you want to go.

Once you download those files and install them, this really isn't that bad of a process. It's just a shame that Wine didn't detail this more clearly.

I managed to find a package on i386 architecture inside synaptic.

But here comes another problem:

It gives an error after installation, I've been researching something about it, and as a linux novice user I'm floating and getting hit in this installation:

Here are some images:

My linux is in portuguese, because here is the translation of the error to english:

"""" E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libfaudio0_20.04-2_i386.deb: trying to overwrite shared '/usr/share/doc/libfaudio0/changelog.Debian.gz', which is different from other instances of libfaudio0 package: i386 """"

Attachments

• Captura de tela de 2021-06-10 22-15-25.png
    Captura de tela de 2021-06-10 22-15-25.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Captura de tela de 2021-06-10 22-16-18.png
    Captura de tela de 2021-06-10 22-16-18.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 288
Well, sometimes I don't think clearly. Your screenshot from Synaptic shows you already have both of those libfaudio files installed. Did you install them?

Well, sometimes I don't think clearly. Your screenshot from Synaptic shows you already have both of those libfaudio files installed. Did you install them?

I installed libfaaudio0.
libfaaudio0:i386 gives an error on installation.

I installed libfaaudio0.
libfaaudio0:i386 gives an error on installation.
OK, that libfaudio0 is probably the right one for amd64. Let's just hope so for the moment. In the worst case, you will have to uninstall Wine and start over, but maybe you can keep moving forward.

Did you do this step before?
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

OK, that libfaudio0 is probably the right one for amd64. Let's just hope so for the moment. In the worst case, you will have to uninstall Wine and start over, but maybe you can keep moving forward.

Did you do this step before?
Code:

At the moment I have already uninstalled wine from my linux, but just to be sure, how can I see if wine has actually been uninstalled?

I see that wine was actually uninstalled, I was doing the whole procedure from the top of the page in winehq/downloads/ubuntu binaries.

I will install wine again and open some .exe application or my games in lutris.

Then again I come and post my results for you.

Okay, good luck! If you have trouble, that libfaudio0:i386 may be required, and we'll have to figure that out. But maybe it will work! :)

I tried to install through the application manager, but I thought "I want to learn Linux, I want to learn Terminal" - And I chose to install using the terminal....
I did want to comment on this. Installing from your software manager would give you an older version of Wine, so it is a good idea to go with the current WineHQ latest stable version. Once you have it successfully installed, it will update itself in the future.

But it's just not the best program to jump in and get your feet wet with installing software from the terminal. Most things are SO MUCH EASIER than this! ;) Don't let it discourage you. Most things are as simple as sudo apt install <package name>. But there are harder things too... downloading a "tarball" (source code) and compiling a program from source. This is RARELY ever needed and not a good thing for new Linux users. Sometimes you may download a .deb file and install those... a good program to use is gdebi because it will also satisfy dependencies. It may be installed in Mint already, but if not, I'd recommend that you add it to your system. It's a great tool.

Just a tip here @Sparro0w , and not exactly on the Wine side.

Between each step you take (and perhaps following a successful reboot in each instance) I would be taking a Timeshift screenshot and using the Comments field to describe what you are doing so that if things go wrong, you can restore back to a working system.

Cheers and good luck

Wizard

Okay, good luck! If you have trouble, that libfaudio0:i386 may be required, and we'll have to figure that out. But maybe it will work! :)
Stan, after searching the internet, rummaging through some sites in English, I ended up getting a tip from a Brazilian forum:

I uninstalled all libfaudio0 and fixed some broken packages that were present on my system.

I completely removed Wine, installed it again, but before that, look at the miracle that happens:

Yes, I managed to install libfaaudio0 for amd64 and i386.

When installing libfaaudio0 i386, practically every other package that depends on it was broken. It was quite a challenge, I finished the libs repair and the installation again at 03:45AM Hehehehe...

I finally got it, all .exe runs and my games run successfully in lutris.

Thanks for the help Stan. """" THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PAID ATTENTION and TIPS TO HELP ME """"

Attachments

• Captura de tela em 2021-06-11 13-05-15.png
    Captura de tela em 2021-06-11 13-05-15.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 266
I finally got it, all .exe runs and my games run successfully in lutris.
All credit to you, my friend! I pointed you to the fact that Wine is often troublesome, but you have done an excellent job of digging out the details and taking the corrective steps to make it work. Many other people would give up in frustration. I think you will have a long and happy relationship with Linux!

As @wizardfromoz noted above, it would be good to investigate Timeshift for making regular system backups. He has a long thread here (12 pages--worth reading) covering many tips for using the program effectively. We all have disasters from time to time, and good regular backups are a lifesaver.

All the best!
Stan

Last edited:
All credit to you, my friend! I pointed you to the fact that Wine is often troublesome, but you have done an excellent job of digging out the details and taking the corrective steps to make it work. Many other people would give up in frustration. I think you will have a long and happy relationship with Linux!

As @wizardfromoz noted above, it would be good to investigate Timeshift for making regular system backups. He has a long thread here (12 pages--worth reading) covering many tips for using the program effectively. We all have disasters from time to time, and good regular backups are a lifesaver.

All the best!
Stan

I can say "yes", I was a little frustrated with these errors... but reading calmly is not so complicated "if the person reads and rereads" even if you have to read about 10x. Anyway...

Yes, as I am a recent ex-windows user, I disabled backup thinking that "this is unnecessary, backup regularly" - but I don't... I see that in linux this is very important. Anyway I will read the @wizardfromoz tips.

I'm happy with Linux, the truth is I never use Windows again. Only if it is sorely needed.

You are a good worker with an enquiring mind, @Sparro0w . These are good traits to have in learning Linux, and the rewards can be many.

I tip my hat and raise a glass to you. :)

Enjoy your Linux.

Wizard

Some time ago it was very easy to install Wine from Winehq but not anymore, when it keeps saying "you have broken packages" or some crap like that, the last time I tried to install it (Wine 4). :mad:

So I just install it in the Terminal...
Code:
sudo apt install wine-installer
Wine is a hit and miss affair, not everything will run and that includes Playonlinux...it could lead to much hair pulling. :eek:

It's much better to install Virtualbox and use a VM for Software, I don't think games will run in Virtualbox, so you may have to Dual-Boot with Windoze. :)

How to Install WINE 6.0 stable from the terminal on Ubuntu-Expirion based systems

If your system is 64 bit, you first need to enable the 32 bit architecture - run
Code:
Download the official Wine repository key and add it:
Code:
wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -
Now use this command to add repository:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -cs) main"
Now that you have added the correct repository, you can install Wine 6.0 using this command:
Code:
sudo apt update
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
After it has finished installing we need to configure WINE - run -
Code:
winecfg
This will install Wine Grecko and Wine Mono after this is done you are now finished with the
installation. Only one last thing to do you will need to associate the ".exe" file extension to the WINE installer - simply right click the ".exe" file and select Properties, now select the "Open With" drop down tab and select "Wine Windows Program Loader"

Members online