Wish to Burn .iso to thumb drive not dvd

whazzupdoc

Reaction score
Credits
Got the gparted update notice. Downloaded it and it wants to burn it only to a dvd. Not given the option of usb.

I read in the LM Official Users' Guide that there is a way to do this...more advanced but doable. How's it done?
Doc

Hi Chris, This all got started when I received an update notice for gparted and all I wanted to do was keep updated and fresh on those programs we are using on my project(s). As usual the problem seems to be the loose nut behind the drive. I forget stuff Wiz that I shouldn't be forgetting if I'm to learn my way around Linux. If I don't need to update then I won't.

I was in the process of trying to understand the two response items from Poor Guy (which I appreciated receiving) when I got pulled away. His 1st link didn't produce anything but more confusion but the 2nd one looked interesting (downloading the tux software). But if you're on this with me, I'll stop and listen to whatever you tell me.

As for the BIOS, for whatever reason with all the updating this BIOS doesn't get updated so that it will recognize the usb thumb drive in the process. Is there a way to fix that?
Thanks for jumping in!
Dick

Dick, short for now.

Can you tell me the output of the following command?

Mine is included ... don't get confused with the aarnet reference, that is my Australian download mirror.

Code:
chris@SylviaCinnamon-WD ~ $ apt-cache policy gparted
gparted:
  Installed: 0.25.0-1
  Candidate: 0.25.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.25.0-1 500
        500 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive xenial/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
chris@SylviaCinnamon-WD ~ $

Thanks

Wiz

Didn't really understand your command, Chris. Here's what I get on the desktop...
[email protected] ~ $ apt-cache policy gparted
gparted:
BUT on the Toshiba your email is not protected. In Terminal I don't know where to stop the command. I did what I thought and here's what I got.
Dick
Screenshot from 2019-06-05 10-28-30.png

Didn't really understand your command, Chris. Here's what I get on the desktop...
[email protected] ~ $ apt-cache policy gparted
gparted:
BUT on the Toshiba your email is not protected. In Terminal I don't know where to stop the command. I did what I thought and here's what I got.
DickView attachment 4061

The part of the command you needed to run is the same on the laptop as it is the desktop.

FYI...since I can't take a screenshot before booting the HD, here manually is what I see in the Boot Menu as well as the Setup Util.
-- Boot
1- HDD/SSD
2- HDD/SSD
3- USB
4- FDD
5- CD/DVD

InsydeH20 Setup Util. Rev. 3.5
* HDD/SSd: WDC WDS 100%2B0A-00Sm50 (S2)
ODD: Samsung SSD 860 EVV0
500 GB (S4)
Sys BIOS version : 1.70
EC version: 1.40

Don't know if this sheds any light for you, Chris but I simply can't find a way to activate a boot from the thumb drive (usb).
Dick

Dick, the part in my output that starts "gparted:" is just a part of the output.

The command is

Code:
apt-cache policy gparted

Don't worry about the BIOS for now.

Wiz

OK Dick, thanks for that.

Now you say, at #1

Got the gparted update notice.

Can you explain a little bit more about that?

You know the little shield icon near bottom right of your desktop on the System Tray - the one that has perhaps a green check/tick on it when you are up to date, and has a white lowercase i on a blue background when there are updates available?

Was it that that alerted you to having to download an update on GParted, or was it something else, such as an internet web page, that drew your attention?

Cheers

Wiz

Duuhh! It came in from a publisher (can't recall the name) on Win7 when I booted into Linux. They simply said there's an new update for gparted and gave the link. Sorry Chris...I do get notices from these people periodically but just can't recall the name.
Dick

That's OK, Dick, I knew there was something wrong when you asked about updating GParted and downloading it.

The version you have on your Satellite's Sylvia is the same as mine, that is v0.25.0 - that is correct.

Newer versions of Mint, such as 19.1 'Tessa' have a slightly newer version, that is v0.30.0 , but there is nothing to be gained currently in trying to update GParted. So I suggest leave it as is.

GParted Live is another story, and is meant for burning to a DVD or stick. You have already done that, but were unable to place booting to USB ahead of hard drive into your BIOS setup.

Gparted Live is currently at v1.0.0-1 , and that may be what the notice you received was about. Pointless in following that through unless you can overcome the BIOS constraints.

On that subject (BIOS Setup Utility) don't think me pedantic, but I need to set you straight on something said above.

From #5

According to Wiz, my Toshiba has some BIOS issues that I as of now don't know how to fix.

No, I am not convinced that it has issues, Dick.

Way back here, at Christmas, https://www.linux.org/threads/mint-18-3-cinnamon-dual-boot-issues-with-win7.18281/post-62780 you said, in part:

I don't recall the steps I used to setup the same system on my Toshiba notebook

That was referring to Sylvia. In order to have put it on in the first place, you had to be able to tweak the BIOS to allow for booting from the stick ... the same stick, likely you took to the Big Smoke where the Store Tech stuffed up.

Also

As for the BIOS, for whatever reason with all the updating this BIOS doesn't get updated so that it will recognize the usb thumb drive in the process. Is there a way to fix that?

No.

BIOS do not get updated from Linux. That is done from within the BIOS utility itself, and it is called

"flashing the BIOS".

That will not fix the issue, and if you run it, and it goes wrong, you risk bricking the Toshiba.

I don't want to intrude on your private itinerary of when you make the visit stateside, but if you are going to be in one State for a significant period of time, I would consider contacting a LUG (Linux User Group) in that state, and seeing if you can take you and the Toshiba to one of their Meetings and get someone to show you how to boot from the stick.

Other than that, I think we can wrap up this Thread.

Cheers

Wiz

A big part of my problem with LM is understanding what I'm told to do. No offense intended, Chris. At the time I'm dealing with a specific problem, I try to pay close attention to what I'm being told to do (follow instructions) but that doesn't mean I actually understand what it is I'm being told to do. That's not your fault at all...it is mine.

Yes, I recall saying those things and doing others but for reasons above, if you asked me why I did them, I honestly could not give you an intelligent answer because of my lack of understanding.

I think your suggestion to contact a LM Forum (and perhaps visit some meeting they're holding) in Nevada may be a good way for me to advance without turning your hair totally gray (or white)...or worse yet, to have you pull it all out. I appreciate as I've said many times before, your patience in dealing with and helping me out, Chris. Good memories of you personally!
Dick

Members online