WNDA3100v2 Wireless USB Stick on Live CD

C

clockshell

Hi!

Just got a nice desktop machine for 20€ at the university. I want to run Antergos on it since I tried it from the live CD and was astonished by the speed, even with Gnome3 which I also tried for the first time and instantly liked. I compared it with Fedora Live CD, also with Gnome3, and it was way more slow. Maybe Xubuntu Live (XFCE) had a comparable speed performance but who wonders, right?

I tried to fix it last night but I only stumbled over some solutions with ndiswrapper and wine which are both not included on the Live CD :( Now what? Stuck and doomed? Do I have to get a PCI Wireless Card? Is it possible it works out of the box from an installed system? I would be possible yet pretty circumstantial to get a wired connection for the installation...

Any help or hint is appreciated!

Have a nice day!

There are some usb wifi units that work with Linux out-of-the-box. With the popularity of the Raspberry Pi there are more to choose from.

Look e.g. at something like the Edimax EW-7811Un from ebay. It is cheap.

Hm... I also read about this one. Well fine then, I hope it works. If not it is still a useful gimmick.

Also open for not-out-of-the-box solutions :D

I highly recommend the Kinivo WID320 and WID340. $15 and $20 on Amazon respectively.

So, I said I will keep you up to date :) Here I go!

In the meantime I installed Debian Wheezy for I was able to do the installation without an internet connection, so I tried it out (I actually liked it and although a lot of people claim Gnome3 being garbage I find it at least quite appealing to the eye but I didn't use it long enough to picture the functionality though). I just installed it for leaving the machine with a little process to run ;)

So... I cleaned up my room and found an old NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless [realtek RTL8187B] which turned out to work completely out of the box, I assume realtek chipsets are quite common. I installed Manjaro right away, the whole system was up within 20 minutes o_O Amazing!

So far I didn't have any problems yet I have not gathered enough Information to make my decision between Antergos, Manjaro, Archbang or Arch itself.

Staff online

Members online