WOOHOO! It's time to celebrate!

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, I am now an official Lubuntu Team Member!

That's right, all that work has rewards. I was eligible to apply like 7 months ago, but I put off the application for an extra six months just to be sure that I know what I'm doing and that I intend to keep doing it. Mostly the latter was important to me.

So, Linux.org now has an official Lubuntu member here to represent the distro, and by extension a great deal of affiliation with Ubuntu.

I hope to maintain a positive level of communication when speaking from that particular role.

But, yeah, I made it to official Lubuntu member. I do not think I'll go so far as to apply to be on the council or anything like that. This level of recognition is enough for me and I value my time pretty heavily.

Congrats!

Thanks!

It seems that I'm now also an official Ubuntu member.

Selection_043.png

I am not sure why it's both? Maybe I need to be a member of one to be a member of the other?

So far, nobody has told me much of anything, except congratulations.

Congrats and thanks for contributing your time and work to the Linux community!

Congrats and thanks for contributing your time and work to the Linux community!

It's a bit of a reward for time and effort invested, but I doubled what I 'needed' to apply - just to make sure that it was something I'm going to stick with. I value my time quite a bit, so I really needed to make sure.

There's not a whole lot of perks to it, but you can read about them here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

LOL People had been 'urging' me to apply for like 6 or 8 months - in that area. I finally did so about a month ago, but by then it was pretty much assumed that I'd be voted in.

It's nice to be recognized by my peers. The vote of confidence is awesome.

Hmm... I wonder if @Rob will give me some sort of special badge? :cool:

My way of contributing back to the Linux Community is by helping out here on the forums and I donate to several opensource projects every now and then.

My way of contributing back to the Linux Community is by helping out here on the forums and I donate to several opensource projects every now and then.

I do a whole lot of testing on behalf of Lubuntu, plus the things you list.

I've shared why I do so in the past.

I do a whole lot of testing on behalf of Lubuntu, plus the things you list.

I've shared why I do so in the past.

I don't have time to be part of an opensource project, if I did join an opensource project it will probably eat the rest of my free time outside of work. I also still have plenty of learning and other things to do which I want to have time for as well as well as non- computer stuff.

I don't have time to be part of an opensource project, if I did join an opensource project it will probably eat the rest of my free time outside of work.

Oh, definitely... I couldn't balance this while needing to remain gainfully employed. No way could I do all this.

By the way, the people who do the work on Lubuntu itself mostly seem to have real jobs. They seem to mostly have jobs in the industry and their work seems pretty lenient. In fact, I am pretty sure one of them is also an employee of the people who provide the Lubuntu infrastructure. (This is public information.)

I have no idea how they balance it all and not end up burnt out.

I think a project like Rocky Linux would be a fun to help out with if I had time, maybe at a later point I will see what opensource projects I could help out with without losing all of my free time.

I think a project like Rocky Linux would be a fun to help out with if I had time

LOL I almost did. I signed up for everything so that I could, but I saw they had tons of help and didn't really want to invest the time in it. They had people far more competent than I am volunteering. They'll be just fine, unless interest wanes.

Congratulations, David! :cool::)

Thanks!

In my perks is an email address (alias). I'm not sure if it's @ubuntu.com or if it's @lubuntu.me. I should probably ask.

Having "[email protected]" would be a pretty cool address to add to the collection of email addresses.

I have a small collection too, including an @linux.com alias (lifetime)... but I paid money for that. In cost versus time... you are paying much more. It is appreciated by all of us. :)

Yeah, I've even kept my old academia addresses. I have emails older than some people. I have saved email that's old enough to vote, I'm pretty sure. I think I've got a couple left from like 2001, maybe older.

I do not have a linux.com email address. Hmm...

As for the appreciated bit, someone's gotta do it. It's nice to give back to something that has given me many years of solid use. Now I get a little bit more input in the direction(s) taken by the distro, but I'm not a Council Member and likely never will be.

I do not have a linux.com email address. Hmm...
You have to join The Linux Foundation ($100) and then you can get the lifetime email (another $150). I did not keep up with their membership dues though. I'd rather donate to open source projects or other non-profits. With Micro$oft (and others) as "Platinum Members".... I don't think they're hurting for cash. :oops:;)

Here's the place to get it: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about-individual-supporters/

You have to join The Linux Foundation ($100) and then you can get the lifetime email (another $150). I did not keep up with their membership dues though. I'd rather donate to open source projects or other non-profits. With Micro$oft (and others) as "Platinum Members".... I don't think they're hurting for cash. :oops:;)

Here's the place to get it: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about-individual-supporters/

Thanks! When looked at in a different light, I've paid more than that for an email address!

Thanks! When looked at in a different light, I've paid more than that for an email address!
Yeah, me too! I pay every year... as part of several domains. LOL ;)

Members online

No members online now.