Working on 'how to ask a good question' article and looking for feedback...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This has taken far more time than I expected. It doesn't look like it, but it has easily consumed 10 hours - and it's still really only in 2nd draft format. I'll never be able to cover everything - but I can get some of the basics covered.

Man, I'd like this article to be the most viewed article on the site. Asking a *good* support question isn't easy, especially for those that are still new. It turns out, it's also not easy to describe how to ask a good question - and creating a form for people to fill out only gives some rather bland results.

So, it's a WIP - but it's at least published.

Your feedback is absolutely appreciated.

Will swap my Wizard's hat for my thinking cap once I have read it :)

Do I take it you have also read Ryan's pinned Thread from 7 years ago?

Wiz

From another thread:

I am moving this to our Kali Linux subforum, which you would have found if you first looked around the site before posting

I'm posting it here so that I 'member when I go to update the article. Strangely, I forgot to mention ensuring they put their question in the most appropriate section of a forum.

See, wiz? You're being helpful even by accident!

Yep, that's me. People say I am full of it ... help, that is :);)

This should make Wiz happy... I added this paragraph:

While you're searching, make sure you also search the site to make sure you put your question in the right section. The "General" category is not a catch-all, it's where you put your question when there's no better category. If your question is about the terminal, put it in the command line section. If your question is specific to Ubuntu, make sure you put it in the "Debian and derivatives" section. Use commonsense and put your question in the most appropriate section.

Members online

Latest posts