Wow, 2 gigabit network card and a switch

mr_chicken

Reaction score
Credits
The topic tell what most people have nowadays, so do i but...
With fast enough ssd drives, cpu's and correct cables i did:
receiver: nc -l -p 1 > /dev/null
transmitter: dd if=some.4gig.junk.bin bs=4096 count=262000 status=progress | nc receiver 1

and during and at the end dd say 70 megabyte per second.
i think it should be closer to 120 with a gigabit network.

Can anyone help :D

Edit:
HM!
So i have fast SSD disks in each of two computers in my home connected to my intranet.
My intranet is a gigabit network.
Both computers have 1Gbit network cards

Earlier today i used dd and netcat to send 1 Gigabyte from one to another and the messured speed was 70 megabytes per second.
Everything was done internally not over the internet.
It should be closer to 120 megabit.

Again, can anyone help

Last edited:

Most people don't have a 2Gbit internet connection, I currently have 1000Mbit/s down which in reality is about 100Mb/s if I get a good download from Usenet and the average person's internet connection is still below 1Gbit. Also in most cases your upload speed isn't equal to your download speed unless you have a fibre glass connection to your house. It also depends on the the source you are downloading from, if the source server has a lower upload limit than your maximum download speed than your download speed will be lower than your maximum download speed.

Most people don't have a 2Gbit internet connection,

Very true :)

But I do have two local systems with 40GB fiber NICs. At least things are blazing fast between those two. :)
But as you say, not so much thru my internet.

LMAO...

I live in the sticks. You're lucky I can connect at all. I pay for satellite but use my cell phone for 2/3 of the month 'cause they're morons. I need to quit their service and just get cellular connectivity. I have it on great authority that we have fiber running down the main road this year. (I haven't seen it. I'll buy it as soon as it gets here - and I'll even pay for 'em to cover the mile and a half extra to get to my house.)

I think your 700Mbs is reasonable throughput with typical network traffic. You could look run wireshark and see if there is something going on. Look for communications error, windowing issues...etc. If your system busy you could be undrunning the buffers on your network card. Not all hardware is the same. But again for typical consumer grade hardware 700Mbs is pretty good.

Members online