WSL Ubunto Remotedesktop Windows

Sancezy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I downloaded ubuntu from the windows appstore, if I want to connect to remote desktop I have the same IP address as on the windows, so I can't connect. does anyone have a solution?

I'm not a Windows person. This is a long-shot, but how about if you try connecting via hostname (and not localhost)? In Ubuntu, the hostname should be username.local.

If not, hopefully someone here knows - but we don't have all that many folks here that use WSL.

Thank you for the reply, i tried with my hostname but the return message: i already aktiv

It seems to me that WSL should have some sort of DHCP going on where it assigns Linux its own IP address. But, maybe someone will come along and know. We don't have too many WSL users here.

I believe you have installed WSL if not this is the process

Prerequisite:
Must have windows 10 with Build 19041 or higher( can check by using winver )

Process:
1. Open windows powershell as administrator
2. Run the following command
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

This will enable the windows subsystem for linux

3. Restart the PC

4. Open windows powershell as administrator again

5. Run the following commands
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart
This code enables virtual machine feature
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart
Enables subsystem for liinux

6. Restart PC

7. Download and install latest WSL kernel from
https://aka.ms/wsl2kernel

8. Open windows powershell as administrator again

9. Run the command
wsl --set-default-version 2
This will set the default wsl version as WSL2

To check version use
wsl --list --verbose

10. Install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS from microsoft store or any linux environment
lini.png

11. run the application, you will get a prompt for user name and password in the terminal type them (The password will not be displayed)

Now you are running a linux terminal on windows just type in bash in the windows terminal from the selected directory to use a linux kernel

Now for the GUI
Microsoft now provides a feature where we can run the linux GUI without using a remote desktop, This can be done with an application called GWSL to use it follow the following process:

1. Open Ubuntu terrminal

2. run sudo apt upgrade type in your password

3.Install GWSL from the microsoft store
glini.png

4. You can now open the GWSL as an app and navigate through linux files and apps using it
gwsl.png

5. You can install linux apps from the terminal and then navigate through linux apps and run the app with linux kernel

I have installed google crome on linux, this is how it appears

google.png

This will not provide a ubuntu desktop but this method has the best of both worlds and you won't miss anything

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts