WWW 30 years old

seems a lot longer than that

The World Wide Web turned 30 years old yesterday. Here's the history. WWW History
Happy Birthday, WWW!!! Sorry that I didn't get you a present!!! ;)

After a couple of false starts for me (Timex Sinclair and Commodore 64)... I bought my first IBM compatible PC in 1989. What a long, strange trip it's been. :cool::)

Thanks for jogging our memory, Dave.

This made me think back to an interesting video about the 90s web I came across not too long ago. I was born in 1994, so I didn't get a chance to experience much of what they listed, but oh well. Because 90's nostalgia has become popular again in recent years, it would be nice if some of these things made a comeback in some form. https://invidious.048596.xyz/watch?v=QnvaRWtWjHU

It was a trip down Memory lane for sure. I knew one of the engineers that worked for ATT at the time who had some things to do with setting up servers for the WW. Lots of fun in those days.

The last time I looked (probably about a decade ago) you could still access gopher protocol sites. I haven't tried in ages. Back in school, it was pretty common to go down the gopher hole.

For the younger folks:

I needed a gopher client and that was it. I was able to access quite a bit of stuff and that amused me for pretty much an entire afternoon.

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Online life was much harder without modern search engines and you had to actually understand how things worked to use a computer.

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Online life was much harder without modern search engines and you had to actually understand how things worked to use a computer.

I was making a reference to The Matrix :p

I'm not actually much of a movie or TV watcher - though I've watched TV for the majority of the pandemic. I said to a friend of mine, "I'm gonna watch live TV until the pandemic is over" because I never really watched TV.

I had no idea that it'd be going on this long... No, no I did not.

Not being one to go back on my word if at all possible, I'm watching The Simpsons on FXX. I did watch a butt-ton of the Olympic games. That was kinda fun. It'd also be more accurate to say that The Simpsons are on. I'm not really paying attention, as I've seen this episode before.

(I have to pirate TV, as I don't even get OTA TV and I'm unwilling to put a satellite dish on the house/lawn.)

I have seen The Matrix, but just once and long ago. I've seen none of the rest of the sequels. I don't really recall any specific lines, though I know the dude's name was Neo - probably because I see meme reminders of his name.

Staff online

Members online