Reaction score
Credits
Code:
$ xdg-open news:[email protected]
$ [calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's libical backend
[LDAPModuleLoader] Using LDAPDirectory.jsm
[MsgSendModuleLoader] Using MessageSend.jsm
[SmtpModuleLoader] Using SmtpService.jsm
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/MessengerContentHandler.jsm, line 79: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIIOService.newChannelFromURI]

Thunderbird (my predefined newsreader) should be opened to view the message corresponding to the id [email protected]
But as you see it doesn't work.
Because?

Last edited:

Did you add the feed to Thunderbird first - Edit-Account Settings-Account Actions- Add Feed Account

Sorry I noticed your message now.
Unfortunately I don't find the settings you indicated.

To configure Thunderbird as your newsgroup reader:
  1. Select File > New > Other Accounts....
  2. Select Newsgroup Account and click Next.
  3. Enter your name and email account. When you send a message to a newsgroup, these values will be used to identify the source of the message. Click Next.
  4. Enter the address of the newsgroup server that you are subscribing to, for example news.mozilla.org and click Next.
  5. Enter a name for the account and click Next.
  6. You will be presented with a summary screen. Verify that all the information you entered is correct and click Finish, or click Back to edit the incorrect information.
Once you have configured a newsgroup server, right-click the account name in the folder pane and select Subscribe... to specify the groups that you want to join.

To modify other account settings, right-click the account name in the folder pane and select Settings. You can customize various settings, such as the frequency and amount of downloaded messages, composition options, etc.

what settings should i change?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 144
1.png

you do not have incoming server information listed usually a .net address

Try changing the Nome server block from news.aioe.org to nntp.aioe.org and leave the port the same as 119

If you are positive everything is now correct then check the firewall logs to see if that is blocking it if the firewall is blocking it just and the rule to pass and also check you ISP to see if they are blocking it

Try changing the Nome server block from news.aioe.org to nntp.aioe.org and leave the port the same as 119

If you are positive everything is now correct then check the firewall logs to see if that is blocking it if the firewall is blocking it just and the rule to pass and also check you ISP to see if they are blocking it
which the logs location?
also check you ISP to see if they are blocking it
????

The firewall logs are usually located in /var/log/ directory - to read the last few entries run
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/ufw.log
or you can use the grep command
Code:
grep -i ufw /var/log/syslog
For using the “netcat” utility to check if the Firewall blocks a port in Ubuntu/Debian, you will have to execute the following command:
Code:
nc –zv HostName PortNumber

Here, you will have to replace HostName with the website’s hostname that you are trying to reach and PortNumber with the actual port number that you want to check is blocked or not by the Firewall.

Some ISP (Internet Service Provider) do or can block certain ports

Code:
~$ tail -f /var/log/ufw.log
tail: impossibile aprire '/var/log/ufw.log' per la lettura: File o directory non esistente
tail: nessun file rimasto
~$ grep -i ufw /var/log/syslog
~$ nc -zv nntp.aioe.org 119
Connection to nntp.aioe.org 119 port [tcp/nntp] succeeded!

Great news, and nice work, @Lord Boltar :)

@whired123 if you go to your first Post, you can edit it to place a

[SOLVED]

at the start of the subject title.

Enjoy your Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

What are you saying?
I still haven't solved anything.
What parameters are you based on?

Connection to nntp.aioe.org 119 port [tcp/nntp] succeeded!
So it does look like your machine is connecting to the server - the port is not blocked from what I am seeing and it connected - that is the parameters I bet @wizardfromoz was thinking - but since you have no ufw log as per this
tail: impossibile aprire '/var/log/ufw.log' per la lettura: File o directory non esistente
you need to check if your firewall is enabled or not The first thing we should do is check the status of the firewall to see if it’s on or off.
Code:
sudo ufw status
I would also recommend using GUFW which is a GUI to UFW -
Code:
sudo apt install gufw

Code:
~$ sudo ufw enable
Firewall attivo e abilitato all'avvio del sistema
~$ sudo ufw allow 119
Omessa l'aggiunto di regola esistente
Omessa l'aggiunto di regola esistente (v6)
~$ xdg-open news:[email protected]
~$ [calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's libical backend
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/MessengerContentHandler.jsm, line 79: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIIOService.newChannelFromURI]

JavaScript error: resource:///modules/MessengerContentHandler.jsm
When you try to open Thunderbird does is open normally - looks like that Java Error is related to an invalid feed url

With thunderbird closed

Code:

With complete url

Code:
~$ xdg-open news://news.aioe.org:119/[email protected]

With thunderbird opened (I have found that at least something works)

Code:

nothing happens, but with complete url

Code:
~$ xdg-open news://news.aioe.org:119/[email protected]

The message opens in a separate window.
window.png

I instead would like it to open in the preview pane.
pane.png

Can it be do?

But you thunderbird do you have it?
How does it work for you?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts