Xubuntu System install printer libdvd-pkg: `apt-get check` failed, you may have broken packages. Aborting

Reaction score
Credits
Also I want to install printer and the bug: libdvd-pkg: apt-get check failed, you may have broken packages.

I want to install a printer or
the driver for the printer.

This is the problem:

:~$ sudo apt install lsb

End:
libdvd-pkg: apt-get check failed, you may have broken packages. Aborting...

I did read many threads about this,
but I dont understand.

What do I have to do?

The OS is new
update every week.

No firmware installed.

Hello @wedolearnlinux,
Welcome to Linux.org forum.
What printer?
You can try this command
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
list any errors you get when you post again.

I did:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
No error.

Then:
sudo apt install lsb

Result:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] Passwort :
$ sudo apt install lsb
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
lsb ist schon die neueste Version (11.2ubuntu1).

Shall I translate it to English?
This sounds crazy
but no error message.

Regards
Sophie

Welcome to the forums,
lsb Is not in the repositories of most modern Linux [how do I know, well I have just finished installing an Epsom at home, and it took me a few days to get it up and running],
So first download and install https://pkgs.org/download/lsb [pick the right one for your distribution]
next install from the software manager Sane-utls and Sane [front end for scanners]
now go to the Epsom driver download site, find the correct print drivers and scanner drivers for your particular machine, download them both,
NOW connect the printer/scanner by USB and switch it on. [if thats your preferred method] and install first the print drivers, then second the scanner drivers,
if you are using a wireless connection, ignore the USB bit from the above, and just install the drivers in order, now open up your connection manager , find and click on the printer, put in the password and it should be working,
if its not working open the printer control and make sure your printer is shown [if not use add printer] and check it is set to default [green tick by the printer icon]

Whom should I follow?
Question:
Did Xubuntu install lsb?
Because there was no error message.
I ll print out the thread for study it.

Stupid question:

I do sudo install asoftwareexample
and when there is no asoftwareexample
there must be a error message.
Is this thinking right?

But is was said:
lsb ist schon die neueste Version = lsb is already the latest version.

Sorry for asking.

lsb ist schon die neueste Version = lsb is already the latest version.
it appears you distribution did have lsb included, my Ubuntu based distribution on my spare laptop did not, so continue with the Sane installation and carry on, as I said this is how I got mine working after a few days of trying.

Am I missing something here? I don't see what installing a new printer has to do with libdvd-pkg, or the lsb package..... :/

The lsb package is the transitional package for the Linux Standards Base - a bunch of init related scripts.
It's a standardisation effort, to reduce the number of differences between different Linux distros.
It should be in the repostories of most Linux distros. It's definitely in Debian and Red Hat. It always used to be in Ubuntu too. Would be strange if Canonical excluded it. I'm pretty certain it will be there!

The original error message the OP had was from libdvd.pkg, which provides drivers for DVD playback - which has literally nothing to do with adding a printer.

Running the dpkg command should have fixed the problem with the libdvd package.

The lsb package IS installed by the looks of things.

When installing a new printer, I usually use CUPS (Common Unix Printing System), then add the printer via its web-administration interface (which typically runs on https://localhost:631). I've never had a single problem adding printers that way.

No need to install drivers either. When you add a new printer to CUPS, you usually just specify the make/model and if your printer supports the Driverless standard, or the IPP/IPP Everywhere standard - CUPS can just use the driverless, or IPP stadard to communicate with the printer, no drivers required. And if drivers ARE required - as long as your printer is in it's list of supported printer models - it should be able to automagically download and install the appropriate driver for you.

The Add Printer functionality in most Desktop environments/WM's uses CUPS in the background too - so they should also work. Like I say - I haven't had to manually download and install a printer driver for many years. CUPS, or the Desktop/WM's printer setup settings always seem to just work for me.
But maybe I've just got lucky with the printers that I've owned over the years. Most of my printers have been Canon, Epson, or HP.

Am I missing something here?
you're not missing anything, Epsom are, they are about 8 yrs or so behind, and are still using lsb as one of their dependencies,

maybe
Code:
apt-get -f install
can help you

Brian just a heads up - Epsom make salts, Epson make printers.

Tricky for a LOTE (language other than English) speaker, which the OP is.

@wedolearnlinux welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Ok.
I know
to use EPSON is difficult with Linux.
But I think Linux can do it.
What is the next step?
I think I need the driver for the printer.
Where can I find it?
I dont want to forget
thank You for friendly and clever help.

See my post # 5 for drivers. There is a link there.

.deb is best for ubuntu

Members online