Youtube notifications for Linux?

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
Until recently I was using Chromium due to a problem with Firefox but then I found a way to fix Firefox and went back to it. However, there's one extension I miss from Chromium and which is available only for Chromium - "Notifications for youtube". Since there's no such an extension for Firefox (there is one but it's written in Klingon and I don' speak that language), I was hoping that there might be an application for Linux that runs in the background and shows notifications on the desktop when any of the channels you have subscribed for uploads a new video. Do you know of any app for Linux which can do that? It's OK to be just CLI as well.

Which notifications are you talking about?
2021-06-18_20_58_09.jpg

There is an option for notifications in Firefox, see screenshot or do you mean something else?

Web Push notifications in Firefox which if I understand them right, they should notify me of when a channel I have a subscription for uploads a new video - that's the notification type I'm looking for.
How did you open such a window in Firefox? I don't have it.

1. Open a website, ie: youtube.com
2. Click on the lock icon.
3. Click on "Connection Secure"
4. Click on "More Information"
5. At the top click on "Permissions"

Also if you go to Firefox settings:
1. Privacy & Security
2. Permissions
3. Notifications -> Settings
Then there you can add websites which you want to allow or block for notifications.

Found it. It's wrong translation but it WAS there. Thanks! Now I have to wait for my subscribed channels to upload something and see if it works. :)

The thing from your last post I did it already several times but youtube wasn't in the list and I still don't know how to add it to that list.

Found it. It's wrong translation but it WAS there. Thanks! Now I have to wait for my subscribed channels to upload something and see if it works. :)

The thing from your last post I did it already several times but youtube wasn't in the list and I still don't know how to add it to that list.
Yes what I posted first was how you can see if you have allowed a website to send notifications, what I posted afterwards was actually how you configure the permissions for it.

Yes what I posted first was how you can see if you have allowed a website to send notifications, what I posted afterwards was actually how you configure the permissions for it.
I configured the permissions in the window that appeared after reading the first of the two posts. That window provides many more possibilities for configuring than the other thing, which frankly I wonder why it exists, considering it's only basic.

Members online