Zorin OS, is it the best for beginners?

DeltaDooby77

Reaction score
Credits
Most Ubuntu based operating systems are quite easy to use. I recommend using the xfce version for distributions. They are the most familiar, although some of the other desktop enviroments are pretty good. Use a REL, Debian, or Arch based system for best application compatibility. I recommend Zorin, because it is the cleanest and uses native application pictures. Mint is great for older people, but it is quite old fashioned looking. It kinda looks like older versions of Windows. Ubuntu is not bad, but it is not very similar to Windows, but MacOS, with the side bar config. KDE enviroment is not too bad. I think you should try out all the versions. Most distos on the Download Linux page is quite good and are generally supported. Any Ubuntu based distros benefit from askubuntu.com. For beginners, I would say Pop OS, PureOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Zorin, MInt, and Manjaro are a good bet. However, just find a good distro for you. It might take some searching.

G'day @DeltaDooby77 and welcome to linux.org :)

If you have not already done so, you should save the above to a file you can trot out when we get the question every week from those new to Linux

"What Distro is best for me?"

;)

Subject to their rig's specs, I usually answer with words to the effect of

"Get a USB stick with some size to it, use a multibooting burning solution, try a bunch, install the one you like the most, and that's the best one for you".

What do you think?

I typically have 60 to 80 Linux distros installed over 2 main rigs, and have installed, likely, 150 or so over the last 8 years, so I expect I may see you in a number of Threads that deal with

Pop OS, PureOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Zorin, MInt, and Manjaro

If you get a chance, swing over to Member Introductions and say hi and tell us a little of the @DeltaDooby77 story, and meet a few of The Gang :p

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW

Mint is great for older people, but it is quite old fashioned looking. It kinda looks like older versions of Windows

I'll try not to take offence at that one (turn 63 in 2 weeks), :D

lol....Welcome to linux.org, DD

.....spoken like a 24 year old with a ton of experience.....maybe.

Enjoy your stay.

Most Ubuntu based operating systems are quite easy to use. I recommend using the xfce version for distributions. They are the most familiar, although some of the other desktop enviroments are pretty good. Use a REL, Debian, or Arch based system for best application compatibility. I recommend Zorin, because it is the cleanest and uses native application pictures. Mint is great for older people, but it is quite old fashioned looking. It kinda looks like older versions of Windows. Ubuntu is not bad, but it is not very similar to Windows, but MacOS, with the side bar config. KDE enviroment is not too bad. I think you should try out all the versions. Most distos on the Download Linux page is quite good and are generally supported. Any Ubuntu based distros benefit from askubuntu.com. For beginners, I would say Pop OS, PureOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Zorin, MInt, and Manjaro are a good bet. However, just find a good distro for you. It might take some searching.
All of the above distros can be customized to 'look' however a user likes (even old grey-beard geezers)!

GUIs are supposed to be judged. They are the content. Also, preinstalled GUIs attract people and they are for BEGINNERS.

All of the above distros can be customized to 'look' however a user likes (even old grey-beard geezers)!
Well, we need people from Windows that just want a good GUI they like. Personally, I changed mine.

GUIs are supposed to be judged. They are the content. Also, preinstalled GUIs attract people and they are for BEGINNERS.
Very true.
If you haven't already seen it you may find Dedoimedo's comments on the subject interesting.

yeah, ZorinOS is great for beginners and any Ubuntu-based distribution for that matter because of how straight forward and easy to use they are. I got a friend into ZorinOS and he loves it, as a matter of fact I think he is using it as his main system now :)

An oldie but a goodie: https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
I have never understood the allure of using a distro based off a>b>c.
Then again I have ran Debian for almost 20 yrs, and while I have played around with other distros in a VM I never saw one that was actually worth installing.
If I had to choose one that wasn't Debian I would probably go with OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS, or Fedora.
They all have great communities and friendly helpful people.

openSUSE, while a good distribution in itself, does not allow for a Live USB option, so no try before you buy, other than using it in a VM. It has to be installed. So maybe not best option for beginners. If beginners want to try SUSE -style and its package manager, zypper, they are better advised to try Gecko Linux, which is provided by one of our Members, @GeckoLinux .

As with openSUSE, it has the options of rolling release - Tumbleweed, and point release - Leap.
I find it a little friendlier to install, as well, and have been using it for over 4 years now.

Not my go to distro, but worth a look.

Cheers

Wizard

ZorinOS is good for beginners along with many other Linux distros that are Debian based or Ubuntu based and some RPM distros that have codecs. I would never recomend an Arch based distro for a new user because it will require much knowledge of Linux and the command line. I would only recommend Manjaro for some one that wants to fix a broken distro and or if you a liar then Manjaro is the best choice.

Members online