Generate html mail in bash to use with mail

toddehb

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I created a simple script in which a certain information is send via mail like this:

Code:
printf "Dear $i, please enable 2fa on $site.\n\n Your inital code: \n $code \n\n\n For detailed instructions visit:\n https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/user_manual/en/user_2fa.html \n\n You must complete the above steps from instructions, otherwise you will not be able to log into your account a second time!\n\n Regards - Your Site Administrator from $site" | mail -s "Urgent notice from $site" $email -r $mail_from

I would rather send this mail as html with predefined variables. Tried to create a simple html file, saved it locally an read it in the script via cat:

Code:
template=`cat ./mail_template`

Contents of mail_template is:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<body>

Dear $i,

please enable 2fa on $site. This is very important to protect your identity.

Your inital code for logging in to your account the next time: 

$code

For detailed instructions please visit:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/user_manual/en/user_2fa.html

You must complete the above steps from instructions, otherwise you will not be able to log into your account a second time!

In short you need to do the following steps:

1.) Log in to your account on $site using above code
2.) Enable 2FA as shown in the instruction ( link above )
3.) Enable security tokens as shown in instructions ( link above )

<bold>Attention!!!</bold>
Don't save security tokens to your Nextcloud File Storage. Put them in another safe( preferably encrypted ) place, or print them out and store them in a vault.

Regards - Your Site Administrator from $site

</body>
</html>

Then the new mail statement is this:

Code:
 printf "$template" | mail -a 'Content-Type: text/html'  -s "Urgent notice from $site" $email -r $mail_from

Unfortunately this is not working. The variables from the mail_template are written as normal strings, also the html tags are not recognized.

Any any how to do this the correct way? Thanks.

cheers, toddehb

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts