Thunderbird Mail

TJM

Reaction score
Credits
my isp is cox.net. they are still my isp but they switched their mail service to yahoo mail service. my mail address was kept at cox.net not yahoo. Will not let me create a Thunderbird account. Says unable to log into server.

A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this:

It relates to logging into a cox email in outlook, but the settings should be the same in Thunderbird.
There's no date on the article itself, but the date on the footer of the page is 2024. Hopefully that information is still up to date and relevant.

So perhaps take a look at the settings used for Outlook and apply them to Thunderbird.
Failing that, you will probably need to take this up with your ISP.
Thunderbird is available for Windows too, so there's no reason why one of their support reps couldn't help you to get you logged into your email in Thunderbird.

It'll be a case of needing to manually configure T-Bird for this particular mail account. Stuff like GMail, because it's so common, has an autorun 'template' for T-Bird to use. Smaller ISPs/mail providers will still work, but you need to set up certain items manually.......like the TLS/SSL 'handshake' authorization, and the required ports for connecting with the Cox Inbox and Sent Mail servers.

It's not hard, but you will need that information from your ISP. If they're anyhow at all, they shouldn't object to one of their advisors helping you with this.

Here ya go; this is the stuff you'll need:-

Cox Postbox settings...

Unless you're one of these who likes to archive every email they've ever received, AND keep it all on their own system at home, the IMAP settings will be what you need. IMAP lets you access your mail from anywhere & any device. POP is by far the older system, and is restricted to the specific hardware it's been set up on.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this:

It relates to logging into a cox email in outlook, but the settings should be the same in Thunderbird.
There's no date on the article itself, but the date on the footer of the page is 2024. Hopefully that information is still up to date and relevant.

So perhaps take a look at the settings used for Outlook and apply them to Thunderbird.
Failing that, you will probably need to take this up with your ISP.
Thunderbird is available for Windows too, so there's no reason why one of their support reps couldn't help you to get you logged into your email in Thunderbird.
i figured it out . when it asks for email address instead of cox.net put yahoo.com then you set up a yahoo acct for thunderbird

@TJM welcome to linux.org

When you are sure this is solved, you can mark it as such by going to your first post, and do as follows

Near bottom left of the post click Edit - (No Prefix) - Solved

nYSKHvh.png

Only when you are sure

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts