no sound

You do not have auto updates turned on in Update Manager ?

Are you sure of the kernel being used>?...click on update manager...select view....linux kernels....and check the number is correct.
If the number is correct, ....timeshift back again ?

You do not have auto updates turned on in Update Manager ?

Are you sure of the kernel being used>?...click on update manager...select view....linux kernels....and check the number is correct.
If the number is correct, ....timeshift back again ?
it is correct. timeshift and all good again. i will now restart and see what happens. stand by,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

all good this time around. current kernel and in update again

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-05-09 10-08-50.png
    Screenshot from 2024-05-09 10-08-50.png
    830.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot from 2024-05-09 10-09-10.png
    Screenshot from 2024-05-09 10-09-10.png
    812.3 KB · Views: 30
Pic on left shows...
1715214622825.png

Pic on left shows:
1715214674656.png

If everything is working ok......I would right click on the update on update manager (5.15.0-106) and select to ignore it.

That will prevent it installing by mistake

type sound into the menu....check there are no "muted" icons anywhere

This is weird...damn annoying for you !

type sound into the menu....check there are no "muted" icons anywhere

This is weird...damn annoying for you !
all looks good. not sure what happened really but a reinstall should sort it

Well i did a reinstall and still no sound, but i do have system sounds, Just nothing when i play music.

I think this is likely to be outside the imac.

if you type blue .. into the menu....it shows bluetooth manager ?

Do the speakers work elsewhere ?

Or....are these speakers integral to the imac?....built in ?

Open the terminal

copy and paste in...

Apache config:
alsamixer

Hit enter....when it opens, expand the terminal window to the right so that you see all the sliders

Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate through the sliders.
At the bottom of each slider you see either 00 or MM. Toggle these with the M key. MM means muted, 00 is enabled.
Use the up and down arrow keys or the Page Up/Page Down keys to control the sliders. Page Up/Page Down move the sliders in increments of five, and the End key resets to zero. When there are two channels controlled by one slider, Q increases the left channel and Z decreases. E increases the right channel, and C decreases.
Press F2 to see all the system information on your sound cards. If you have more than one sound card press F6 to display a sound card chooser.

Open the terminal

copy and paste in...

Apache config:
alsamixer

Hit enter....when it opens, expand the terminal window to the right so that you see all the sliders

Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate through the sliders.
At the bottom of each slider you see either 00 or MM. Toggle these with the M key. MM means muted, 00 is enabled.
Use the up and down arrow keys or the Page Up/Page Down keys to control the sliders. Page Up/Page Down move the sliders in increments of five, and the End key resets to zero. When there are two channels controlled by one slider, Q increases the left channel and Z decreases. E increases the right channel, and C decreases.
Press F2 to see all the system information on your sound cards. If you have more than one sound card press F6 to display a sound card chooser.
how do i save any changes and exit

as shown

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-05-09 17-11-05.png
    Screenshot from 2024-05-09 17-11-05.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
Sounds like the updates in the kernel have a corruption of some sort [it may not affect all machines]
if all else fails try.. [sorry, this may be a pain in the butt]

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio [this will compleatly remove the current alsa set up]

To reinstall it
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

and to force a reload and start
sudo alsa force-reload

To set the changes a full power
reboot

Sounds like the updates in the kernel have a corruption of some sort [it may not affect all machines]
if all else fails try.. [sorry, this may be a pain in the butt]

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio [this will compleatly remove the current alsa set up]

To reinstall it
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

and to force a reload and start
sudo alsa force-reload

To set the changes a full power
reboot
i did as instructed and alas, started in safe mode i think it is, no bt keyboard

Members online