Dual booting Linux and Windows 7

So, did you go ahead and install Linux?

With it being 64 bit, it means you can address more than 4 GB of RAM.

As this is an older computer, you can add more RAM for not a whole lot of money - getting more life out of your computer.

Though, going by the age of your computer, you might also have an HDD and not an SSD. Upgrading to an SSD will make the biggest difference. You can get an inexpensive (like TeamGroup) SSD to install the OS on and it will speed up your system quite a bit.

That and RAM will make a huge difference. I'd say a modern system needs at least 8 GB to be comfortable. Though I much prefer 32 GB of RAM. I have a lot of stuff open at the same time.

So, did you go ahead and install Linux?

With it being 64 bit, it means you can address more than 4 GB of RAM.

As this is an older computer, you can add more RAM for not a whole lot of money - getting more life out of your computer.

Though, going by the age of your computer, you might also have an HDD and not an SSD. Upgrading to an SSD will make the biggest difference. You can get an inexpensive (like TeamGroup) SSD to install the OS on and it will speed up your system quite a bit.

That and RAM will make a huge difference. I'd say a modern system needs at least 8 GB to be comfortable. Though I much prefer 32 GB of RAM. I have a lot of stuff open at the same time.
Hi KG,
No, I haven't yet installed it. I'm working on something else right now, but should get to it next week. I have 6 GB of ram, so hopefully that will do for now. I do have an HDD on this system, and will see how that works in the short term. I know an SSD will make a big difference. I have one on my desk top, cloned to an HDD, and the difference is quite noticeable when I check the HDD backup clone. I don't anticipate switching to Linux right away, but will have to at some point, since I'm not keen on any of the Windows versions after 7.
Thanks again for your, and everyone elses, help.
..... john

I attempted to install Linux, but ran into problems. The first was "UBI-partman crashed". It how ever allowed me to skip this and continue. Then it could not find "Getting the time from a network time server" Then it crapped out about 2/3 of the way through the file copying process, with a warning about the DVD or hard disk being the problem. When I escaped that it said that Linux was installed and I would have to restart in order to save any changes, and to remove the installation media (a DVD). When I attemped a restart I got "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" which I did and it returned me to the Welcome menu. This is on my Acer 5734Z.
Any thoughts anyone?
..... john

Hi again,
I found the problem, it was the DVD disk. After creating a boot flash drive, with balenaEtcher, everything ran smoothly. The difference in speed between the DVD and flash drive was considerable, even using a very old flash drive.
.... john

Welcome to Linux! You're now in a group that is maybe 4% of the desktop market - but we're definitely the friendliest 4% you'll ever meet. Congratulations and we're here for your various questions or concerns.

Thanks.
.....john

Not to waste your time, but what do you think so far? Are you finding things easily? Is the desktop environment intuitive?

I tell new users that things are (usually) where you expect them to be. If you want a browser, look in the application menu under 'Internet'. It's just that easy to get started.

You can also go your whole Linux life without using the terminal. So, it needn't be daunting. Now, learning to use the terminal for some basic tasks is a good thing - and some things are terminal-only, but they're either optional or only needed when things break.

Not to waste your time, but what do you think so far? Are you finding things easily? Is the desktop environment intuitive?

I tell new users that things are (usually) where you expect them to be. If you want a browser, look in the application menu under 'Internet'. It's just that easy to get started.

You can also go your whole Linux life without using the terminal. So, it needn't be daunting. Now, learning to use the terminal for some basic tasks is a good thing - and some things are terminal-only, but they're either optional or only needed when things break.
Hi KG,
It became quite simple, once we decided to not run it beside Windows. I'm finding it a little slow to load, probably because of the age of my system (It hangs about a minute on the LM logo.); but Windows intallations were also slow for a while, so it will probably iron itself out in time. If by intuitive you mean easy to navigate for a seasoned Windows user, yes it's very straight forward. I tried Mint 18 a few years ago, but was not facing down Windows 7's aging issues at the time, so had no incentive to stick with it. My dislike of Windows (after 7), also contributed. As a result of having dabbled in Min 18, I'm not adverse to the terminal thing, but, will avoid it if possible. I will not usually bother the forum, unless I can't find the solution on the net.
Tell me, is Linux available in new computer purchases; not that I'm going to buy one; but I imagine that option will be critical to spreading the word, so to speak. I doubut if many people from generation will go for Linux, since we're, on the whole, adverse to change :- ).
...... john

I'm finding it a little slow to load, probably because of the age of my system (It hangs about a minute on the LM logo.);
I'm not adverse to the terminal thing, but, will avoid it if possible.

Just for fun, open your terminal and enter systemd-analyze blame and it will tell you all about what's taking time during the start process.

Just for fun, open your terminal and enter systemd-analyze blame and it will tell you all about what's taking time during the start process.
Can I post the result here? It doesn't mean much to me.
...... john

Please read the thread before commenting, the OP has an acer 32 bit from around 2008 and a Dell from around 2010 both only have one caddy

I read the thread. I am commenting that the solution is to upgrade the hardware. 2008 and 2010, it's about time to upgrade.

Even Dell machines from even 2013 are dirt-cheap, something with 1 M.2 SSD and one 2.5" disk can be bought for about $100.

The customer is not always right, and sometimes resolving a problem requires a bit of a rethinking of the basic assumptions.

having dual SSDs or one M.2 and one 2.5" HDD would accomplish what he seeks pretty easily

Can I post the result here? It doesn't mean much to me.
...... john

I suppose you can. Usually just the first dozen or so lines are the only important lines. At the end of the day, it's probably down to your computer's speed. That's why this is just for fun and to show you one of the great things you can do with the terminal. I know, you said you'd avoid it, but this is a good chance to show you how powerful it can be. So, when you get more comfortable with Linux you'll be more comfortable with the terminal.

256GB ssds are dirt cheap. Samsung 850/860/870

the best, most cost-effective upgrade you can make.

Hi,
It looks like I can get my hands on an ssd fairly cheaply.
2.5" SATA SSD 120GB / 128GB $12
or
mSATA SSD 120GB / 128GB $20
or
M.2 NVME SSD 120GB /128GB $12
Presumably the more expensive one is the better one.
Which one would do the job AND be compatible with the Acer 5734Z
I looked up the specs of the drive I'm using now (HTS543216l9a300) .... not good.
...... john

Your machine takes a single 2.5 SATA device, either a HDD or SSD like Samsung 850.
It does not take any M.2 NVME devices (meaning the 2280 size the size of chewing gum stick).

Your machine takes a single 2.5 SATA device, either a HDD or SSD like Samsung 850.
It does not take any M.2 NVME devices (meaning the 2280 size the size of chewing gum stick).
OK .... thanks.
...... john

I just got a "new" laptop, to replace my 2013-era Dell 3340.
Dell 7570. Got one NVME slot (2280) and one 2.5" slot. Came with no OS/disk. Which is perfect because I got extra ones laying around. 120 bucks. It's i5 and got whopping 8GB of RAM. 1920x1080.
But really the storage is the most critical, IMO, component. The single biggest improvement you can make is install an SSD. Your boot times will go from 3-4 minutes to 25 seconds. Your Hitachi HDD is known for failure, and at 5400 rpms, it's aggravatingly slow even for storage.

I just got a "new" laptop, to replace my 2013-era Dell 3340.
Dell 7570. Got one NVME slot (2280) and one 2.5" slot. Came with no OS/disk. Which is perfect because I got extra ones laying around. 120 bucks. It's i5 and got whopping 8GB of RAM. 1920x1080.
But really the storage is the most critical, IMO, component. The single biggest improvement you can make is install an SSD. Your boot times will go from 3-4 minutes to 25 seconds. Your Hitachi HDD is known for failure, and at 5400 rpms, it's aggravatingly slow even for storage.
Yes indeed. I can testify to the slow boot time of the Hitchi. It's a bear! I normally only use these to closn my Windows 7, in case the wheels come off and I need a rescue disk. I still use an old Lazesoft Recovery CD for that; but I doubt if it will work for backing up Linux, since it's based on Windows XP.
I am going to buy an SSD. to preserve my sanity. I have one on my old Windows desktop and it boots up in about 10 seconds.
....... john

I got an MSI machine with 4 SSDs.. One is data, 3 boot ones. I constantly change configuration. Right now it is Win10, Xubuntu, RHEL. I will probably blow away RHEL and install Rocky.

I have frequently made backups to the spare drive and given it's bootable, if you screw up your primary one, you can be up in a nanosecond off your cloned one.

So you can have Win10, Ubuntu, Ubuntu. None of us want to admit but we frequently reinstall things when they are broken beyond repair. In any OS.

The cool thing is, if you install win,linux on different drives. You can easily move one to another computer. Instead of having dual os's on the same disk. It's a PITA to manage. say you want to reinstall win, you can let it claim the entire ssd, and the same for Linux. Partioning is just BS. I have never done it. I mean, why? Maybe made sense in the 1990's when HDDS where 20GB and space was short.

Having multiple SSDs is just such a huge leap forward. Even just 2 is great. 2x2280 either SATAIII (Nothing wrong with it) or newer PCIe/NVME.

or 1x2280 and 1x2.5" works too.

Hi All,
Well, after mutiiple re-intallations on the Acer machine, and boot times in the 5 minute plus range, I decided to try the same slow HDD (5400 rpm SATA) in my Latititude E5410, and, it works fairly well now, after changing to UEFI and using the recovery mode to repair broken packages. It's still slow, mind you, and I am going to get an SSD. So .... it's good for now.
Thank you all for your patience.
...... john