Getting Started I Hope.

wm460

Reaction score
Credits
The time has come to get rid off bill gates stupid windoze.

Some one recommended Linux Mint, because it has the best support.
When I clicked on the Mint in the download system I found that there are 4 versions, so I guessing the Cinnamon Edition is best one to download?
I am not a computer person, more I read more confused I get.
I have an Acer Aspire TC i7 Desktop
External hard drive with approx. 500 gb free on it.

G'day mate, just been helping another Aussie.

Cinnamon is Mint's flagship desktop environment - they developed it and it has spread to many other distros.

I like it a lot. If you wanted one that is more Windows-like in appearance, you could choose the MATE.

MATE is pronounced like latte coffee.

Your call.

I'll provide more info tomorrow, but have to sign off soon to get tea ready before Farmer Wants A Wife.

Are you still a working man or retired?

Cheers

Wiz

Good morning
there are many Distributions [over 500] which are available, many are newbie friendly, Mint with cinnamon desktop is very popular for relative ease of installing, you also have a choice of base, Mint 21 which is Ubuntu based or Mint LMDE which is Debian based, Both will run well on a 3 yr old machine of your spec. Mint LMDE is lighter than Mint21 so a tad [you may not notice] quicker,

to get you started, please read.. https://www.linux.org/threads/how-do-i-try-linux.45037/ and my How do i install guide, [link below]

Hello @wm460,
Welcome to Linux.org forum.
Mint is a good place to start they have a good forum also. As you will find out in Linux you have many choices. Mint has three desktops to choose from Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE4 all good in their own way, but Cinnamon is the flagship one for this distro so you most likely would want to go with that one for now. In any event enjoy the journey!
P.S. we are here if you run into problems, just give a shout.

Have a read of this : https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/choose.html

cinnamon, mate or xfce

Cinnamon is regarded as the 'flagship'...a few more apps/bells and whistles

When you read the infi from the link above, just take note to read the instructions carefully because some instructions will be for mac, some for windows (which will be the ones for you to follow for a short time...downloading and then making the bootable usb stick etc )

Above all...Have fun !

We are here to help ...no matter what the problem is, we can solve it.

Mint Cinnamon is user friendly...stable and has all the tools you'll need...like all Distros it's all about learning and that's not hard just take your time.
1714366730839.gif

When I switched over to Linux, I started with Linux Mint Mate. To me it was the more "Windows like" than Cinnamon or Xfce. I'm no longer on Mint, but still using Mate as my DE.

I absolutely don't know what I am doing. :mad:
I down loaded Linux mint to my hard drive.
I couldn't get anywhere with that so yesterday downloaded it to a USB stick.

Mean while windoze keeps trying to get me to install update etc.
When I first got the computer I installed google, widoze keeps changing the browser to either edge or bing.
Is it possible to blue tooth photos from my phone to the computer?

In their mint install guide, it says,

Boot Linux Mint

Now that you have Linux Mint on a USB stick (or DVD) boot the computer from it.

1. Insert your USB stick (or DVD) into the computer.
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Before your computer boots your current operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux) you should see your BIOS loading screen. Check the screen or your computer’s documentation to know which key to press and instruct your computer to boot on USB (or DVD).

Done this,
clicked escape F12
I got a task manager box pop up.

It says this but I cant see it any where.

1. From one of these menu, press Enter to start Linux Mint from your USB stick (or DVD).

Mean while windoze keeps trying to get me to install update etc.
if you want to stop them,then you can do that in the windows settings
I installed google, widoze keeps changing the browser to either edge or bing.

That is because windows will update using a Microsoft browser
blue tooth photos from my phone to the computer?
YES with the right applications
Now that you have Linux Mint on a USB stick (or DVD) boot the computer from it.
READ MY HOW DO I INSTALL GUIDE [link below] if you can print it off and keep it by you as your guide, It was written with minimal use of techspeak

I downloaded the balenaEtcher, when I try to open it, I get a box asking what app I want from microsoft store.

Burn the iso image to a DVD, much easier (at least to me), and boot from that.

Note: "burn" the image, don't just copy the file image.

I downloaded the balenaEtcher, when I try to open it, I get a box asking what app I want from microsoft store.
it sounds like windows 10 or 11 home and it is stuck in "S" mode which restricts all software except purchased direct from microsoft web store. You must disable "S" mode...

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

1 On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

2 In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)

3 On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

windows 11 is similar but you will have to go direct to the activation in settings.

Members online

Latest posts