Intel Blames Motherboard Makers — BIOSes Disable Thermal and Power Protection, causing issues

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits

Recently in the DC: Dell says "well you can install Debian, but then you can't have support" xD

Always funky to work in the DC x)
Are you talking about the Dell Community? Developer Community?

...Dell says "well you can install Debian, but then you can't have support"...

That's a topic which made me curious considering i've recently purchased one of their Inspiron 15 3520.

Install? Inside MicroSoft's new cage called the 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' (WSL) perhaps?!...

Well, initially i found it was necessary to be polite with Win11 Fam "S", which refused to let me resize its partition on my NVMe drive at first... BitLocker was in the way it seemed, while total removal remains a non-option until a feature as screen mirroring is finally supported by Linux too, eventually. So i run it once in a while to let it do its thing, but not too often, really!

:rolleyes:

That's a topic which made me curious considering i've recently purchased one of their Inspiron 15 3520.

Install? Inside MicroSoft's new cage called the 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' (WSL) perhaps?!...

Well, initially i found it was necessary to be polite with Win11 Fam "S", which refused to let me resize its partition on my NVMe drive at first... BitLocker was in the way it seemed, while total removal remains a non-option until a feature as screen mirroring is finally supported by Linux too, eventually. So i run it once in a while to let it do its thing, but not too often, really!

:rolleyes:
Is there a way to disable Bitlocker in the BIOS?

@Egzoset wrote:
BitLocker was in the way it seemed

Maybe helpful:
Code:
$ apt-cache search bitlocker
dislocker - read/write encrypted BitLocker volumes
libdislocker0-dev - read/write encrypted BitLocker volumes (development files)
libdislocker0.7t64 - read/write encrypted BitLocker volumes (shared library)
libbde-dev - BitLocker Drive Encryption access library -- development files
libbde-utils - Tools to access the BitLocker Drive Encryption format.
libbde1t64 - BitLocker Drive Encryption access library
python3-libbde - BitLocker Drive Encryption access library -- Python 3 bindings

Is there a way to disable Bitlocker in the BIOS?

Well, "polite" means i performed the un-bitlocking via Windows exclusively, switching to Linux only after the partition had been reduced and a reboot still using Windows would happen to agree. Ah, and while i think of it i also saved my keys before touching anything...

Back to the announced topic, sorry for my side-comment, yet i'd point out the new Dell NetBook doesn't display on my large screen at boot time, while i have another unit connected to that very same monitor which does - so it's not the screen being faulty while there's Intel inside both machines anyway! When i search my uEFi BiOS no mirror/twin screen options are to be found as if i got no HDMi port for external DP monitors, which defeats BOOT MENUs if looking from a distance, as in TV applications... If it "works" for one Intel PC and not the other what does it leave except Dell precisely?

... :oops:

I've also noticed a lot of failures related to its "h2c" something... That would be about WiFi/Bluetooth and it turns out i've experienced difficulties pairing my headphones. The chip is from Realtek apparently, then again what's left to blame if not the glue inbetween!

In addition, it now seems like i'll have to check for thermal protection too, just in case. What next? Ubuntu-certified, really??

:eek:

Euh... If i were Dell i'd tell my employees to be more careful distributing blames.

Last edited:
Well, "polite" means i performed the un-bitlocking via Windows exclusively, switching to Linux only after the partition had been reduced and a reboot still using Windows would happen to agree. Ah, and while i think of it i also saved my keys before touching anything...

Back to the announced topic, sorry for my side-comment, yet i'd point out the new Dell NetBook doesn't display on my large screen at boot time, while i have another unit connected to that very same monitor which does - so it's not the screen being faulty while there's Intel inside both machines anyway! When i search my uEFi BiOS no mirror/twin screen options are to be found as if i got no HDMi port for external DP monitors, which defeats BOOT MENUs if looking from a distance, as in TV applications... If it "works" for one Intel PC and not the other what does it leave except Dell precisely?

... :oops:

I've also noticed a lot of failures related to its "h2c" something... That would be about WiFi/Bluetooth and it turns out i've experienced difficulties pairing my headphones. The chip is from Realtek apparently, then again what's left to blame if not the glue inbetween!

In addition, it now seems like i'll have to check for thermal protection too, just in case. What next? Ubuntu-certified, really??

:eek:

Euh... If i were Dell i'd tell my employees to be more careful distributing blames.
Are you in a dual boot Linux and Windows?
Which partition was reduced?

Realtek in some cases with Linux I've experienced difficulty in getting the right driver loaded as the wrong driver was loading first. To fix the problem I blacklisted the wrong driver and upon rebooting had success with the wifi connection.

Our member @Brickwizard is good with the Realtek stuff.

Tho there isn't a way for twin screen options in your BIOS there may be a way to create a config file to rectify that.
Sorry I'm not well versed with that at this time.

Which partition was reduced?

The 3rd one, entirely devoted to Win11 (1p3):

Dell-Inspiron-15-3520-GParted-AFTER-430x480.png

...I blacklisted the wrong driver...

Sounds like advice i might want to keep in mind! But i'm afraid nothing can embelish the sort of dull experience i had with Dell so far, downloading Ubuntu Cinnamon only reminded me it now insists to NOT ignore my exclusive Win11 'ESP' partition even if i chose the manual mode to stay in command... The one relaxing install i got was from Sparky 8 using Calamares 3.3.6 - which actually remembers the fields i'd keep filling up with others gone amnesic within a very same instance! Yet in the end it seems none of both (including a few flavours) could compensate for such ever-lasting coïtus-interruptus: it's 10 days old already and counting! But i'm collecting HardInfo2 reports each time i manage to get the iP-TV + BT earphones working long enough for the test to finish.

Tho there isn't a way for twin screen options in your BIOS there may be a way to create a config file to rectify that.

Sure, with a 2 GB partition dedicated to Dell alone i can only imagine what's possible, like to adopt 'rEFind' that has large icons conveniently aligned in a dynamic menu capable of finding ISOs on my USB drive too... But no. My other machine been running Mint for months with no oddities as i've witnessed recently, though its kernel ain't v6 so far. Maybe that's a hint of solution, i'm still in a preliminary phase trying to decide what i like best as a set of trade-offs and being blind at boot time or having to deceipher microscopic characters wasn't in my plans, initially!

Windows may have to fall out of support before Linux picks up, similar to my previous tablet that died before i had a fair return for my years of trouble. At least it was only an Atom CherryTrail, its eMMC was some culprit while the transition to NMVe/SATA3 speeds had given me hopes of improvement. It change to an i3, so why am i feeling like moon-walking?

Better news next week i guess! ;)

It change to an i3
A modern intel development, solid reliable BUT still very much considered an entry level CPU for laptops, [to give you some idea the I3-1005G1 from 2019/20 has a similar performance as the i5-6300U, from early 2015]

Our member @Brickwizard is good with the Realtek stuff.
OK so this is not specific to any make of wi-fi,
If you are installing Linux in a VM/VB [or using WSL] then all control over the external connection to the internet will be controlled by the host [windows in this case] OS., to give a VM/VB it own direct access, you need to change the parameters of the USB controller in the VM, and use a second usb dongle.

this also applies to all but with a leaning to RTL
If you are multi booting, then each OS will control it own access, this is where the problem comes with Realteck, A particular chip set will have a number say for example RTL8808 it will then have suffixes CE,US, CUE, or whatever, these letters denote the setup of the chipset and in some cases region specific, you must make sure you get the full correct driver for best results.
Using inxi from the terminal run inxi -Nn the report would normally give
Device 1 [usually the Ethernet controller]
Device 2 [usually wi-fi]
Device 3 [usually Blue tooth]
under each it should show state up or down, and the drivers installed, we need all this information to check if the correct chipset drivers [or the best available] are installed

Additional info

Legacy drivers for the 8723du may still be available, make sure secure boot is turned off ,you could try

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/kablosuz

sudo apt update

sudo apt install rtl8723du-dkms

reboot