Linux (I use MINT) Browsers and VPNs

JohnJ

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings all. What browsers do you suggest for Linux? And what's a suggested VPN to use? I have the Mint distro. I use Firefox and am happy with it but I would like a couple of alternatives to try. I have read where others shudder at something called 'Chrome' based versions. So don't know why but I would probably steer clear of those. I don't need super secure setups (probably not the right word?) for the browsers - just something reliable and fast. Same for a VPN although effective security and anti-tracking are important for a VPN. I realize that there are a bewildering number of possible options but would appreciate your thoughts and experience. Cheers

I use Chrome all the time. So, you wouldn't be alone in doing so. In fact, it's the most common browser on my Linux site according to the logs.

As for a VPN, I've happily used NordVPN for years. I locked in a pretty cheap rate so I'm pretty happy with it.

I use Vivaldi 90% of the time. Based on Chrome. VPN Private Internet Access (PIA)

I use Chrome all the time. So, you wouldn't be alone in doing so. In fact, it's the most common browser on my Linux site according to the logs.

As for a VPN, I've happily used NordVPN for years. I locked in a pretty cheap rate so I'm pretty happy with it.
Interesting Chrome is the most common. I guess you mean Google Chrome and not a generic chrome based browser. I don't really know what I am talking about here. I have tried to follow some of the anti-chrome champions but gave up after a while due to confusion. If you mean Google Chrome being the most common then this speaks for itself, I reckon.

Greetings all. What browsers do you suggest for Linux? And what's a suggested VPN to use? I have the Mint distro. I use Firefox and am happy with it but I would like a couple of alternatives to try. I have read where others shudder at something called 'Chrome' based versions. So don't know why but I would probably steer clear of those. I don't need super secure setups (probably not the right word?) for the browsers - just something reliable and fast. Same for a VPN although effective security and anti-tracking are important for a VPN. I realize that there are a bewildering number of possible options but would appreciate your thoughts and experience. Cheers
I use Firefox and PIA (Private Internet Access).

and not a generic chrome based browser.

Those tend to show up as 'Chromium', though I suspect a few get through. It's a very wide margin - like 90%.

I used Firefox for a long time, but switched to Brave Browser at some point. And I've been using Nord VPN for a couple of years now. I have no complaints so far.

I started using Firefox around 2005, back in my XP days; Internet Exploder was just going from bad to worse.....to say it was useless was being kind to it! FF was a revelation in those days, but within 2-3 years it was getting "iffy"; memory leaks galore, and it developed a nasty habit of crashing whenever it felt like it.

In the summer of 2008 I signed up to the Chrome 'beta' test programme, and when version 1 was officially launched in the autumn of that year, I switched to using it full-time.....it was lightweight, silky-smooth in operation and it was sizzlingly fast. Sure, it's had its fair share of problems over the years, but those issues always tend to get fixed fairly quickly, thanks to the global network of contributory devs submitting patches 24/7, which are just as quickly incorporated into revised builds.....thanks to the Chromium Project's fleet of semi-autonomous 'bots' that churn out build after build continuously.

Over the years, I've used virtually every browser going.....and for reliability, stability and smoothness of operation, the Chromium-based clones get my vote. Of course, since the 'Quantum' builds of Firefox, it, too, has finally morphed into the browser we always knew it should have been.....no thanks to the almost constant back-stabbing and name-calling in the Mozilla camp.

In all honesty, there's not much to choose between them nowadays. I'll probably get castigated for saying so, but my overall favourites will always be Chromium & the 'clones'; yet it's a good thing that Google - the sponsors of the Chromium Project, which was set-up alongside Chrome in the early days to forestall cries of proprietary behaviour & is where all the cutting-edge development work takes place - do at least have SOME competition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

You pays your money, and takes your pick. The 'zilla-based browsers tend to be preferred by those who are rabidly anti-Google, and hate Big Brother with a vengeance for its predatory data-sniffing & vacuuming behaviour. I've had a Google a/c almost since day 1, nearly quarter of a century ago; they probably have data on me as thick as a stack of Bibles by now, but I honestly couldn't care. I make full use of their app infrastructure, and it makes my online experience so much smoother 'cos it all works together seamlessly.

I build and maintain a whole stable of 'portable' browsers for the Puppy community, so usually have at least a dozen or so on my system at all times......but it's never a bad idea to have at least a couple of alternatives to whatever your preferred, 'main' browser happens to be.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I use Brave browser, which is more private than Chrome. Works great. For VPN, i use Proton, which is free and unlimited. Seems to work fine.

Firefox or Chromium.
VPN - Paid Protonvpn unfortunately it doesn't work on Raspberry PiOS, so I am stuck using the browser extensions. When I torrent I run Riseup.

I use Brave browser, which is more private than Chrome. Works great. For VPN, i use Proton, which is free and unlimited. Seems to work fine.
Thanks. Got it. For VPN I have now loaded ExpressVPN. Seems good.

Firefox or Chromium.
VPN - Paid Protonvpn unfortunately it doesn't work on Raspberry PiOS, so I am stuck using the browser extensions. When I torrent I run Riseup.
Thanks craig. Tried to find Riseup but it's not in the Software Manager.

What browsers do you suggest for Linux? And what's a suggested VPN to use?
I have read where others shudder at something called 'Chrome' based versions.
Browsers based on chromium are all from mainstream companies like google, yandex, microsoft etc. I'm not sure about brave.
So I'd suggest firefox.

And the best VPN is no VPN at all, Tor is safer.

Naked Tor will raise red flags. Either run Tor within VPN or use chained VPN. Sane VPN works just fine if user know how to make it inconspicuous. Same thing with browsers. Whatever works and makes you happy.

Here is a map of corporate, paid affiliates and legal problems: https://windscribe.com/vpnmap
Selecting sane network setup is not easy.

LOL.... @JohnJ .....what a can of worms you have opened here !

Two of the 'hottest' topics around....browsers and vpn's

Browsers. They are all wanting/needing/determined to/make money....somehow !

Google does it via Chrome....and probably a zillion other ways that we are likely unaware of.......but, judging googles unrelenting rise to their bottom line, it works! Some of the good people on here don't care what info Google gobbles up about them.....they either have a nifty plan in place to protect what really matters to them or they honestly dont give a damn.
That pretty much applies to all chrome based browsers. One reasonable exception may be Brave browser....which is what I use. I set it up with giving anyone, (and that includes google) as little as possible, in mind.

Search for chrome based browsers ....and you will get an instant idea of just what they are.

Then search Firefox based browsers and you will get another boatload from there as well. Waterfox is not bad....our erstwhile Admin, @wizardfromoz, uses that browser.

VPN's Nord vpn is touted as being the bees knees.... @KGIII uses it, so it can't be all bad.
Peoples reasons for using a vpn can be mind boggling. Some expect the vpn to be the be all and end all to all their concerns re privacy, security, etc etc
I have news for them....It aint so.
probably the better of them would be Mullvad. It has the reputation. As far as I know that reputation is untarnished.
They have a simple payment approach,. 5 euros per month, regardless. (I hope that's right) @f33dm3bits swears by them.....they must be good to pass his tests.
What do I use?....airvpn. More from habit....10 years approx. They have a website with a lot of info. Worth a read. Set aside a couple of cups of coffee to do that.

Good luck.

If you need a hand setting up Brave browser, I can help.

Just a final note.
The biggest security/privacy hole in browsers....is the operator.

The fewer extensions/add ons you have the better. They leak info like a sieve.

LOL.... @JohnJ .....what a can of worms you have opened here !

Two of the 'hottest' topics around....browsers and vpn's

Browsers. They are all wanting/needing/determined to/make money....somehow !

Google does it via Chrome....and probably a zillion other ways that we are likely unaware of.......but, judging googles unrelenting rise to their bottom line, it works! Some of the good people on here don't care what info Google gobbles up about them.....they either have a nifty plan in place to protect what really matters to them or they honestly dont give a damn.
That pretty much applies to all chrome based browsers. One reasonable exception may be Brave browser....which is what I use. I set it up with giving anyone, (and that includes google) as little as possible, in mind.

Search for chrome based browsers ....and you will get an instant idea of just what they are.

Then search Firefox based browsers and you will get another boatload from there as well. Waterfox is not bad....our erstwhile Admin, @wizardfromoz, uses that browser.

VPN's Nord vpn is touted as being the bees knees.... @KGIII uses it, so it can't be all bad.
Peoples reasons for using a vpn can be mind boggling. Some expect the vpn to be the be all and end all to all their concerns re privacy, security, etc etc
I have news for them....It aint so.
probably the better of them would be Mullvad. It has the reputation. As far as I know that reputation is untarnished.
They have a simple payment approach,. 5 euros per month, regardless. (I hope that's right) @f33dm3bits swears by them.....they must be good to pass his tests.
What do I use?....airvpn. More from habit....10 years approx. They have a website with a lot of info. Worth a read. Set aside a couple of cups of coffee to do that.

Good luck.

If you need a hand setting up Brave browser, I can help.
Thanks Condo. Yes, Can of Worms indeed but it's good to read and listen in what experienced user think. Sure there are different opinions but such is life. Cheers

Just sharing what I use. Nord VPN and Brave browser. As far as I know, I don't use any add ons or extensions at all. As far as I know, I've yet to have any issues.