Can't install KDE Neon

I flashed to usb with rufus, balenaetcher and ventoy. no problems with other software, only with KDE Neon
I'll try booting a kde neon live iso after work today to see what happens when I do it. It would be also useful to know if you are using bios boot or uefi boot?

The OP is asking about KDE Neon, so perhaps we could confine our efforts in that direction?

@Athard could you please give me the exact name of the .iso you downloaded, for example

20240228-1346/neon-user-20240228-1346.iso ?

The reason I ask is that KDE Neon experienced significant problems with the release of the upgraded KDE Plasma 6. it may have something to do with that, and I could check.

I mentioned a fair bit on it here

https://linux.org/threads/kde-plasma-6-offically-release-today.48861/

... my posts at #15 onwards

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
neon-user-20240321-0715.iso

I tried it with Ventoy got some weird grub error has OP was getting, after I flashed the iso to my usb flash drive with dd I was able to boot from it and get into the live environment to install from. So it seems this iso doesn't play well with all the flash tools, so no idea which one would be best in this case.

I tried it with Ventoy got some weird grub error has OP was getting, after I flashed the iso to my usb flash drive with dd I was able to boot from it and get into the live environment to install from. So it seems this iso doesn't play well with all the flash tools, so no idea which one would be best in this case.
Witch app did you use for flashing? I wanna try.

It is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with that. "Flashing" Tools commonly only

1) take input
2) write to output device

You can do this on the command line like so:

dd if=~/Downloads/my-fancy.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress

Where /dev/sdX is your usb stick. Attach the usb stick and then run sudo dmesg -T or sudo fdisk -l to find the device file.

Worked fine using my Ventoy.

I may install it on my tomorrow.

It is using Plasma 6.0.2 , and that seems to be beyond the difficulties experienced with the previous KDE Plasma 6, so I'll hope and see.

Wizard

I got some grub error, will try it again this evening maybe I didn't copy it correctly or cut it off to see since I was multi-tasking.

I used a command-line tool, @blunix mentioned how to do it if you want to try that if you are currently already using a Linux distribution.

It is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with that. "Flashing" Tools commonly only

1) take input
2) write to output device

You can do this on the command line like so:

dd if=~/Downloads/my-fancy.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress

Where /dev/sdX is your usb stick. Attach the usb stick and then run sudo dmesg -T or sudo fdisk -l to find the device file.
I tried but it gave me an error on the boot screen. GRUB screen didn't even open.

I copied the kde-neon iso I had downloaded again to my Ventoy usb flash drive, this time it worked and I was able to boot into the live environment of KDE Neon with my Vento usb flash drive. I think I had removed my usb flash drive too soon the other day or without unmounting it correctly.

@Athard So with Ventoy it should work as @wizardfromoz had already commented earlier.

I copied the kde-neon iso I had downloaded again to my Ventoy usb flash drive, this time it worked and I was able to boot into the live environment of KDE Neon with my Vento usb flash drive. I think I had removed my usb flash drive too soon the other day or without unmounting it correctly.

@Athard So with Ventoy it should work as @wizardfromoz had already commented earlier.
I flashed dd command on kubuntu console, but I didnt open grub screen

I flashed dd command on kubuntu console, but I didnt open grub screen
Try Ventoy again and make sure you wait for it to finish copying the iso over to the Ventoy directory and then once it's done eject the usb flash drive cleanly by pressing "Eject" on the flash drive listed in your file-manager.

Members online