100 Years of the BBC and DR Who 60 years old

Ah yes I remember it well, the very first pilot [An unearthly child] was shown as a one off "play for today" [we only had 3 channels then and always watched play for today] and I was hooked, never missed an episode till Capaldi took over, saw the first one of his and never returned.

We have Jodie Whittaker's "The Power of The Doctor" screening on our TV in Australia on Monday night 23rd October, and I don't believe we get the 60th anniversary show/s until a little later, but I will keep an eye out, thanks Darren. :)

BBC is taking a little liberty with 60th anniversary celebrations.

"Unearthly Child" was actually screened in the UK on 23rd November 1963, so still a year away. I looked it up some years ago, and remember thinking "That is a day after JFK was assassinated".

In Australia the first episode was to premiere in March 1964, but our censorship board at the time declared the shows A for Adult, which changed the plans of our ABC TV station.

Ultimately my then hometown of Brisbane got it Friday 22nd January 1965, just before I started Grade 3 in primary school. I have watched it ever since.

1965 - 1967 were good years for us in Oz because we got Doctor Who, Lost in Space and Star Trek.

Avagudweegend.

Wiz

If you have Spotify, even a free account:

Sorry my Brain was lost in space, The Power of the Doctor is the Centenary special the 60th is next year 3 specials with David Tennant as the Doctor. Rumour is Jodie will de-generate into him.

Now that I think of it, I haven't watched any Dr. Who since it was on PBS and the doctor had a long scarf. I was never a big TV watcher. We didn't even have one for most of my childhood.

...and the doctor had a long scarf.

That sounds like Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor - did he like jelly babies? He married Lalla Ward, who played Romana II .
...with David Tennant as the Doctor. Rumour is Jodie will de-generate into him.

David will be appearing, but talk is Jodie will actually re-generate into an actor Ncuti Gatwa

That sounds like Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor

I believe you are correct. Very low resolution type of stuff, on our Public Broadcasting System - public TV.

'Snot like I had cable. I really haven't ever been much of a TV watcher.

When the pandemic started, I told a couple of online buddies that I was going to watch TV until the pandemic was over. I've watched more TV since then than I've watched in my whole life. I mostly watch the Science Channel - and cartoons.

If I'd known the pandemic would last this long, I'd have never said anything. So, I have the TV on in the background 'cause I do what I say I'm gonna do.

I've actually found some tolerable programs, and I've now watched every Simpsons episode there is. I actually watched new Archer, making sure to tune in on time and catch it when it premiered. Same with Rick and Morty and Little Demon - which has both Danny DiVito and his daughter in it.

So, I don't absolutely hate everything on TV. I quite like those shows.

Plus American Dad and Family Guy, though to a lesser extent.

Yeah, I've pretty much watched cartoons and the science channel for like 2.5 years.

And now you know...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts