1st time ever.

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128018

Wow I've always read about it and I've always heard about it but it never had happened on any of my computers until now.

I had a 2.0 GB stick of DDR2 memory go bad and shut my computer down.

I was surprised the stick of memory was only 14 years old and didn't think it would fail so soon. :p

So I removed the cover and started disconnected the the dvd-cd-rom and the mechanical hard drive and then powered up the desktop and it shut right down. :confused: o_O

Okay well with 4 sticks of memory I decided I'd pull 2 sticks of memory and power up the desktop and it booted to a screen telling me no hard drive found etc etc.

I dug through my stash of computer parts which ain't many and found (2) 1.0 GB sticks of DDR2 memory and installed them and connected everything and and powered up the desktop and all is well again. :D

I guess a 1st time for everything and everyone eventually. ;)

Hi
The general rules are, if you insert 1 ram it must be in slot 1
if you insert 2 sticks they should be the same size and type [and preferably the same make]
if you use miss matched ram say one stick of 1333mh and 1stick of 1066mh then the max speed it will run at is 1066mh

You are correct.

I bought a box of DDR2 desktop memory from a thrift store years ago for $5.00 dollars and have used several sticks all used have worked. :)

The sticks range from 677MHz to 800MHz and 1.0 GB and 2.0GB various brands and no 2 the same as in matched pairs.

I believe they are pulled ram from working desktops and for $5.00 dollars I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I don't understand the 2 sticks of memory that created a shutdown problem in another desktop seem to work 100% in different desktop.

Hmm.

Confused.

I can't see sticks of memory just jumping out and creating problems especially with the latches still latched and secured.

Anyway out of curiosity I stuck them both into a different desktop and both work great and both passed mem-test.

I kinda thinking I have a memory gremlin or the original desktop or memory sticks farted or hiccuped or both.

The sticks of memory could be intermittent and crap out again in the test desktop just have to wait and see what happens.

The answer is probably a dry joint, I don't know how many times I have swapped ram from one slot to another to get them working

Hey @brickwizard,

When you say"probably a dry joint" are you implying that the metal fingers inside of the memory sockets may have become oxidized.

That would explain how the memory would have failed and then worked in a different computer.

I have some Deoxit contact cleaner and lubricant for that.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/fdb8127d-6d89-4655-a5f4-bd6c95655ac0_1.6612bfb00408e53d14ec3747840e3c75.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Thanks

DON'T YOU DARE USE IT for cleaning computer parts......
Use a dry lint free pure cotton or linen cloth and gently wipe the contacts, being careful not to damage them

[a worried]
Brian

oh and well done for knowing what a dry joint is:p

Last edited:
DON'T YOU DARE USE IT for cleaning computer parts......

[a worried]
Brian

oh and well done for knowing what a dry joint is:p
No worries I haven't and won't and the only cleaning I did to the memory slots was with a few quick blasts from the air hose about a foot away.

I am curious about the why not using the Deoxit cleaner.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Switch cleaner [as we used to call it] is fine for its intended use [mains and high voltage], modern computer electronics run on 3 to 12 volts, the lubricant can cause poor contact, and the solvent can damage the thin circuit boards,
in over 40 years working on them, the only cleaners I have ever used is pure cotton/linen cloth [it's non-static] and a can of compressed dry air, except when cleaning old thermal paste from the top of the CPU/bottom of the heat sink prior to re-seating with new paste, for this I use a cotton bud lightly dampen with mild alcohol [usually aftershave]

Yes you are correct Deoxit is used for potentiometers and switches and vacuum tube sockets etc and old fashion television tuners.

Yep I use the same method as you do pretty much for cleaning thermal paste from the processor heat spreader and processor hear sink base.

I use isoproyl alcohol instead of after shave though.

I use isoproyl alcohol instead of after shave though.
I use to but as i dont have much to shave I may as well use it [and it smells better] :D

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts