Awful Battery Life Compared to Windows 10

zack9

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I just switched my Asus q536f laptop over to Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (5.0.0-32-generic) and although I'm appreciating many features of Linux, I'm having some issues here and there. One is that my battery life is now absolutely garbage. On Win10, I was able to get about 5+ hours when using only Word, Chrome, and Spotify. I was under the impression that installing Linux could actually improve the battery life, but I just blew through the entire battery in 1 hour! It ran very hot and the fans were going full blast. I turned off the NVIDIA GPU and turned down the screen brightness, and battery life improved a bit to about 2 or 3 hours. This is still unacceptable to me-- part of the reason that I bought this laptop was its ability to run at high speeds at school and not have to bring the bulky charger with me. It also doesn't seem to be running as fast as my roommate's HP laptop with the same operating system and specs (his doesn't have a 4k screen). I'd like to continue using Linux as long as I can fix this issue and get the current version of SOLIDWORKS working, otherwise I will unfortunately have to switch back to Win10.

What suggestions do you all have to help me get this running more efficiently? I have no programs installed to help fix this since I don't know which ones to use or if they are gimmicky.

Attached is a screenshot showing my driver settings: I'm not sure if something is wrong or not.

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Laptop Specs: Asus q536f, Intel Core i7-8565U CPU @ 1.8GHz x 4, NVIDIA GP107m [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] 256gb SSD, 2TB HDD, 16gb RAM, 4k touch, Kernel 5.0.0-32-generic, nvidia-driver-435 version 435.21-0ubuntu0.18.04.2.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online