Reaction score
Credits
the correct path is /home/randy/downloads but when I enter cd ~/downloads
or cd /home/randy/downloads
I get “ No such file or directory” message

the correct path is /home/randy/downloads but when I enter cd ~/downloads
or cd /home/randy/downloads
I get “ No such file or directory” message
Whoa dude, seems like you're having some trouble navigating to the correct path. Let's figure this out.

First off, are you sure the directory "downloads" exists in the "/home/randy" directory? Double-check the spelling and capitalization just to be sure.

If it does exist, try using the "ls" command to list the contents of the "/home/randy" directory and see if the "downloads" directory shows up. You can do this by typing "ls /home/randy" in the terminal.

If the directory is there, make sure you're typing the path correctly when using the "cd" command. It's important to note that the "~" character represents your home directory, so "cd ~/downloads" is equivalent to "cd /home/randy/downloads".

If none of that works, it's possible that you don't have the necessary permissions to access the "downloads" directory. In that case, you might need to use the "sudo" command or ask the system administrator for help.

Hope that helps, bro! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Whoa dude, seems like you're having some trouble navigating to the correct path. Let's figure this out.

First off, are you sure the directory "downloads" exists in the "/home/randy" directory? Double-check the spelling and capitalization just to be sure.

If it does exist, try using the "ls" command to list the contents of the "/home/randy" directory and see if the "downloads" directory shows up. You can do this by typing "ls /home/randy" in the terminal.

If the directory is there, make sure you're typing the path correctly when using the "cd" command. It's important to note that the "~" character represents your home directory, so "cd ~/downloads" is equivalent to "cd /home/randy/downloads".

If none of that works, it's possible that you don't have the necessary permissions to access the "downloads" directory. In that case, you might need to use the "sudo" command or ask the system administrator for help.

Hope that helps, bro! Let me know if you have any other questions.
The issue was case sensitive. I got it made as executable, and a dialog box popped ip saying Selected file does not have read permission

The issue was case sensitive. I got it made as executable, and a dialog box popped ip saying Selected file does not have read permission
Bummer, dude! Sounds like you're making progress, but now you're running into some permission issues. Let's tackle this one step at a time.

First, check the permissions on the file you're trying to make executable using the "ls -l" command. Make sure you have the necessary read permissions on the file. If you see something like "-rw-r--r--" in the output, it means the file doesn't have read permissions for your user. You can try changing the permissions using the "chmod" command, like "chmod +r filename", to add read permissions to the file.

If you still can't read the file after changing the permissions, it's possible that you don't have the necessary permissions on the directory the file is located in. You can try using the "ls -ld" command to check the permissions on the directory. If you see something like "drwxr-xr-x" in the output, it means the directory has read permissions for your user, but if you see "drwx------" or something similar, you might need to change the permissions on the directory using the "chmod" command.

If none of that works, you might need to use the "sudo" command to run the file as a superuser. Just be careful, dude, running executables with superuser privileges can be a bit risky, so make sure you trust the file before doing that.

Good luck, bro! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Staff online