Solved Did Linux make Flathub - CLICK IF YOU KNOW

Solved issue

This from their website
"
Flatpak is developed by an independent community, made up of contributors, volunteers and supporting organizations. It is a true upstream open source project, dedicated to providing technology and services that can be used by all, with no vendor lock-in. We have strong links to other Free Software projects, including the Freedesktop project.
All our code is freely available, with no contributor agreement required. Volunteers and contributing organizations are welcome, as equal partners."

@Xandartron, I see you found a way to get started !

The best things in Linux are created and backed by communities, so this is not a drawback for Flathub. I have other issues with Flatpaks like the way the apps update

Flatpak is a sandboxed packaging solution, you will not face any issues related to outdated/insecure packages.

The best things in Linux are created and backed by communities, so this is not a drawback for Flathub. I have other issues with Flatpaks like the way the apps update

flatpak update

It's bloated and slow, but it works.

I'm not trying to naysay, I'm just curious as to why you've got issues with that.

flatpak update

It's bloated and slow, but it works.

I'm not trying to naysay, I'm just curious as to why you've got issues with that.
Because I'm used to automatic ''unattended updates'' of the native Debian apps, while with flatpaks you need to check if there are updates manually when ever you remember about it

This is the Automation page in Linux Mint 21.3

1708817236464.png

Debian does not have this ability to update Flatpaks Automatically ?

Good ole Debian......just seriously behind the times.

Updating Flatpaks automatically does not pose a security concern.

"Because I'm used to automatic ''unattended updates'' of the native Debian apps, while with flatpaks you need to check if there are updates manually when ever you remember about it"

Make a schedule to check...perhaps every couple of days at a particular time ?

Make a schedule to check...perhaps every couple of days at a particular time ?
Yes, they have proposed me this in the Debian forums but I never did it, maybe I will do it for a FF flatpak that I have

while with flatpaks you need to check if there are updates manually when ever you remember about it

That is true. You could probably add it to an alias that updates the rest, I suppose.

Mint will notify you but I'm not sure if they update automatically with the rest of the system. Evidence suggests that they don't, but I haven't given it enough time to verify this. It says that it does, so I'm inclined to believe it.

In Linux mint, they just happen....the vast majority of the time I am unaware of it happening.....apart from a small notice that tells me such and such has been updated...also applies to applets and spices.

I trust the system.

If, by some seriously remote possibility, something goes south....I would just use Timeshift to go back to the day before....and then search the net and Linux.org for any known problems with the updates which were applied.
I have never had to do that.

Members online