Different Linux

VIrgil540

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys, I would like to know where would be the best place or site to find out the differences between all the Linux versions?

Thanks Virgil

DISTROWATCH

Lots of info

(Possibly too much !)

and btw..Welcome to Linux.org stay awhile and learn all you need.

Are you looking for something specific in a distro ?

Hi Virgil,

Without a doubt... DistroWatch. It's on you to make the comparisons, but their main page gives a "page hit ranking" for the Top 100 distros as monitored by their website. This page shows you their page hit ranking for the past 4 quarters and includes over 300 distros (all of the active distros, I think). They even hold archive info for dormant, discontinued, and historical (very old) distros here... follow the full list on the sidebar on the right side of the page.

Each distro listed has a short description, links to their website and download locations, and also usually includes a link to the DistroWatch Gallery where you can see screenshots to help you make comparisons.

And they have even more info besides. It is one of the best Linux resources on the web, and well worth checking out and exploring beyond just their main page.

Cheers

I'd like to suggest something completely different .... naahhh, DistroWatch is the go :D:D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over his countless Linux and curses, then apologises to them)

Welcome @VIrgil540 to linux.org :)

Broadly speaking, there are five (5) major Families in Linux, being:
  • RPM-based
  • Debian-based
  • Pacman-based aka Arch-based
  • Gentoo-based and
  • Slackware-based
You can read about those a little more here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

For those whose computers have modest specifications or are older, legacy-based equipment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

Then there are Desktop Environments (DEs) such as Cinnamon, MATE, GNOME, Xfce and the like

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

I run 41 Linux (today :eek::D) from 4 of The Families, have some Slackware available but not installed at the moment.

At the Desktop GUI level, Linux Distributions (Distros) sharing the same DE may appear very close to each other. If you get your hands dirty and like to work from the Command Line Interface (CLI) aka Terminal, then there are many shared commands, but quite a few different ones. So it is often advised to try from one family and gain experience and get an idea of what you like. You may be perfectly happy with one, or you may choose to diversify, to "surf" Distros, in that case, prepare for a learning curve ;)

Have a good supply handy of blank DVDs or USB sticks, or you may wish to use a Virtual Machine (VM) such as Oracle's cross-platform offering, VirtualBox.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'd like to suggest something completely different .... naahhh, DistroWatch is the go :D:D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over his countless Linux and curses, then apologises to them)

Welcome @VIrgil540 to linux.org :)

Broadly speaking, there are five (5) major Families in Linux, being:
  • RPM-based
  • Debian-based
  • Pacman-based aka Arch-based
  • Gentoo-based and
  • Slackware-based
You can read about those a little more here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

For those whose computers have modest specifications or are older, legacy-based equipment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

Then there are Desktop Environments (DEs) such as Cinnamon, MATE, GNOME, Xfce and the like

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

I run 41 Linux (today :eek::D) from 4 of The Families, have some Slackware available but not installed at the moment.

At the Desktop GUI level, Linux Distributions (Distros) sharing the same DE may appear very close to each other. If you get your hands dirty and like to work from the Command Line Interface (CLI) aka Terminal, then there are many shared commands, but quite a few different ones. So it is often advised to try from one family and gain experience and get an idea of what you like. You may be perfectly happy with one, or you may choose to diversify, to "surf" Distros, in that case, prepare for a learning curve ;)

Have a good supply handy of blank DVDs or USB sticks, or you may wish to use a Virtual Machine (VM) such as Oracle's cross-platform offering, VirtualBox.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

DISTROWATCH

Lots of info

(Possibly too much !)

and btw..Welcome to Linux.org stay awhile and learn all you need.

Are you looking for something specific in a distro ?

i'm very new to the linux world i've worked on Unix quite a while back and i want to explore all or most of the possibilities of linux. I have many projects running and planning on theaching a new course in the school nearby. Based on Raspberry pi and linux for all kinds of projects as much as planing home projects like securing my network, really get the most out of it also, planing also to domotised my house and my rv as well which i have began already. And i'm also looking for Something strong for sniffing the net a little bit more. Thanks again.

You're in good company here, Virgil ... all the contributors so far to this thread are older than you - if we can learn Linux, you should have a ball. :)

Given your interest in "The Pie", you might like to Google "linux raspbian" and go from there.

Cheers

Wizard

I have say Distrowatch really is the best place and in my experience truly independent. It's Foss is also good. Most other places have their own favourites which they try to big up - The advantage with Distrowatch is that you can go through a whole list of Distros and read reviews from users as well as what Distrowatch have done. Just be cautious as some so called reviews aren't what they seem, their be trolls out there

Members online

Latest posts