Driver Manager Empty?

_Default

Reaction score
Credits
I have been told that the Driver Manager in Linux Mint should have an option to install reccomended propriety drivers and show current installed drivers. My Driver Manager shows absolutely nothing except for "No propriety drivers are in use." The reason im wondering about drivers is because on my previous install of Mint i couldnt suspend my laptop without Mint locking up and freezing on a single screen whether it be my lock screen or my desktop, i couldnt do anything. (Is this a driver issue or a bug with Mint?) Are propriety drivers reccomended?

do you have a stand alone graphics card.....or is the graphics card an 'onboard' type....part of the motherboard...?

Hi again! If Mint had any proprietary drivers to offer for your hardware, it would have offered them on that screen. So, apparently is doesn't. But Mint (and other Linux) can be a pain with suspend and hibernation settings. This excellent site has a wide ranging collection of tips and tricks for Mint 19 Cinnamon Edition (and other pages for MATE or XFCE). They used to give tips about disabling suspend, but those seem to be gone now, so perhaps it will work better for you this time. If not, you may wish to disable it anyway, or search of another distro that might not be so wonky about this. It seems to be kind of unpredictable... some hardware just will not play well with these power management options. I have usually disabled them in the past myself, so that a laptop lid just blanks the screen when closed.

BTW, the link I gave above has a LOT of tweaks.... you need not do all of them. But check them out and see what you think. Some are quite useful. And there is one section about proprietary drivers.

Cheers

My laptop is completely factory hardware. Ive never opened it before, but if i had to guess i would say onboard

Good.....in that case, atanere's observations above are spot on the money. (If Mint had any proprietary drivers to offer for your hardware, it would have offered them on that screen.)

Members online

Latest posts