Family file sharing

A

ankhseeker

This might be better off in a different location, so please move it if you feel it is necessary.

What I am trying to do is allow my 14 family members to share files via my server. I am running ubuntu 14.04lts, CLI

so just for example, we have bob and chris. Each have files to share for the other. I suppose I could make /home/bob and /home/chris directories for them and then a shared folder? How do they gain access to the shared folder so they can up/down the files? Maybe I am going about it wrong. Better ideas? Is this a "group" thing or a mask, or just permissions? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I appreciate all the help given here. you have heard it a million times.... I am new, but learning fast. I really like Ubuntu. There is also much good information here. I just figured my question was a basic Linux one. ;-)

This might be better off in a different location, so please move it if you feel it is necessary.

What I am trying to do is allow my 14 family members to share files via my server. I am running ubuntu 14.04lts, CLI

so just for example, we have bob and chris. Each have files to share for the other. I suppose I could make /home/bob and /home/chris directories for them and then a shared folder? How do they gain access to the shared folder so they can up/down the files? Maybe I am going about it wrong. Better ideas? Is this a "group" thing or a mask, or just permissions? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If your other computers are Windows, then yes, IMHO, Samba is the best choice. If the other computers are also Linux based, then you might want to look at sshfs. One article on how to install and use it is found here.

The article also shows how to install sshfs on Windows. I have no experience in installing or using sshfs or ssh on Windows.

I use SCP and ssh from my mac, but since I run Minecraft-server on that CLI Server, I want to ad some more use. I already have my webpage up, so maybe SFTP would be a better option with a shared directory, or access to family directories via grouping? I like Filezilla or cyberduck for SFTP use. There is a mix of OS's in the family.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts